WMS symbology not appearing in Legend

Jump to solution
02-12-2018 06:57 AM
deleted-user-bWhhezP4R-ec
New Contributor III

My organization is trying to make a Web Map using a WMS in Portal 10.6. The symbology of the layers in the WMS are appearing on the map fine, however these symbols are not appearing in the Contents panel.

Here is the symbology on the map: 

Here is the Contents panel for Camera:

As you can see, the camera symbol does not appear below the Camera layer in the Contents panel. 

We would like that symbology to appear in the Contents Panel so that users can easily know what they are looking at on the map. Is there an easy way to do this in Portal, using a WMS?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
New Contributor III

I came up with a solution to this. We were using this map in a Web AppBuilder App. So I ended up modifying the LayerList Widget in Web AppBuilder so that it would query the WMS directly for the legend image and then display it in the LayerList. In order to display text next to those Legend pictures, I made a form on the Settings page that allows you to enter in text, which will appear in the Legend. I posted the widget in the original post.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin
Occasional Contributor III

try clearing your browser cache.

also are the symbols appearing on the map legend?

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

I tried clearing the cache. That did not work. They are not in the legend.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Is this service publicly accessible? If so, can you provide the URL? I imagine there's a request for the legend that possibly isn't completing.

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

The service is public. Here is the URL: https://gis.511ny.org/geoserver/gwc/service/wms 

0 Kudos
Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin
Occasional Contributor III

I am not able to view this layer

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

Hi Joe,

Do you mean that you can't add the WMS at all, or can you add it but you don't see anything? If it's the second, then when you add the WMS, press get layers, and then only add "Cameras". I don't know why it gives 400 errors when all the layers are added.

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

I came up with a solution to this. We were using this map in a Web AppBuilder App. So I ended up modifying the LayerList Widget in Web AppBuilder so that it would query the WMS directly for the legend image and then display it in the LayerList. In order to display text next to those Legend pictures, I made a form on the Settings page that allows you to enter in text, which will appear in the Legend. I posted the widget in the original post.

0 Kudos