Why can I not export my data from AGOL to a FGDB? 

10-22-2019 11:22 AM
StevenMortillo
New Contributor II

When I attempt to export a feature layer from AGOL to a FGDB the resulting zipped folder is empty. The file geodatabse shows up in my content after exporting the data. When I download the data the resulting zipped folder is empty. I can export individual feature classes to a FGDB but not the entire layer. I am the administrator and the layer is only shared with 2 other people.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DouglasCochran
Occasional Contributor II

Hi, 

I just tested this on one of my feature layers, Export --> to FGDB and zip file opened fine when downloaded.  Does this happen with all your feature layers or just this particular one? Under details, what is the file size?

0 Kudos
Laura_B
Esri Contributor

Hey Steven Mortillo‌ are you trying to export a hosted feature layer of just a feature layer from ArcGIS Online to the File Geodatabase?

Do you still see the same behavior when you export to CSV, or any other format listed here?

0 Kudos
StevenMortillo
New Contributor II

Hi Laura,

Yes it works if I export it as a csv and it is a hosted feature layer.

The file size is 2MB.

0 Kudos
Laura_B
Esri Contributor

Hey Steven Mortillo‌,

Just to make sure we are on the same page. When you say, "...I can export individual feature classes to a FGDB but not the entire layer." How are you exporting the individual feature classes? 

In AGOL, one wouldn't click on an "individual" layer level to Export to FGDB as one would only get the FGDB of the entire hosted feature layer in AGOL through the layer's item detail's page-export workflow --> Export Data > Export to FGDB.  

• Essentially, what workflow are you using to export the hosted feature layer in AGOL?
  • Were you going via REST?

As Douglas Cochran asked earlier, is this happening with other similar hosted feature layers in your AGOL content?

I did a test with a 2 MB file geodatabase in my AGOL content and I published it as a hosted feature layer (9MB) in my AGOL. This seemed to work fine for me when I exported it to a FGDB. Another tool you could also try is the Feature Class to Feature Class tool in ArcGIS Pro, or this workflow in ArcMap.

It might also be worth opening a Support case to look into it.

0 Kudos
StevenMortillo
New Contributor II

You can export an individual layer to a FGDB with the "export to" option

within the hosted feature layer details. I was able to export the entire

feature layer to a FGDB through REST endpoint.

Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Steven,

I have had this happen to me before as well. It may not answer why this is happening, but I have found going through the REST endpoint to download file geodatabases from hosted feature layers has worked for me when other methods have failed.

This article explains how: How To: Download attachments from a hosted feature service  

Let us know if that method works for you!

Best,

Katherine

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos