Only see layer 0 in ArcMap when adding data from ArcGIS Online. BUG??

08-17-2016 01:58 PM
BrantCarman
Occasional Contributor

I have multiple feature services published to ArcGIS Online that contain more than one layer.  I often add this data to ArcMap straight from ArcGIS Online in order to perform local edits.  I've noticed with some of my services that I only see layer 0 when I add the data to ArcMap, which is a pretty big nuisance, because with these services I can only view and perform edits to layer 0 in ArcMap.  Any other layers just don't show up in the table of contents (i.e. 1,2,3, etc).

As I mentioned, this only occurs with some of my layers.  The only difference that I can see between the services that experience this issue and the ones that don't:  Services that only show layer 0 in ArcMap were published with symbolgy that is attribute based rather than feature only; specifically, layer 0 is symbolized based on attribute data, and all other layers are "feature only" symbology.  

My services that are published with all layers symbolized as "feature only" seem to function correctly when brought into ArcMap.

At this point I'd like to think that I'm onto a bug:

If you publish multiple layers to a FS on AGOL, and the symbology for layer zero is attribute based, it appears that layer 0 is the only layer that makes it down to ArcMap for local viewing/ editing when added from AGOL.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Thanks.

-Brant

20 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Brant,

I have not been able to reproduce the same behavior you are describing yet. I have published a hosted feature service to ArcGIS Online with the following symbology for one of the layers:

When I pull the service into ArcMap it is the first layer and it shows up with the name displayed and the second layer which is symbolized as Features > Single symbol displays as expected. I have a few questions:

- Are you using Categories > Unique values , many fields to symbolize the data? 

- What version of ArcMap are you using?

- Are any of your services where this issue reproduces shared publicly?

We may need to open a support case for this question, if we decide a support case is the best route I can assist in getting that created for you.

Thank you,

Katie

BrantCarman
Occasional Contributor

Hi Katie,

Here are my symbology settings for layer 0:

- I am not using many fields.

- I had been using 10.3, but have recently installed 10.4.1 and am experiencing the same issues.

- These services are not shared publicly.

I have 3 other layers that are part of this FS, all of which have symbology that is set to empty/ invisible.  I should also mention that these layers are all housed in the same GDB and I have 3 relationship classes that relate each layer back to layer 0:

After publishing the above setup to a hosted FS, layer 0 is the only layer that I see when I add the data to ArcMap from AGOL:

I have another FS that is set up very similar, except that all layers are using feature only symbology, and that FS displays all layers when brought into ArcMap from AGOL.

A support case sounds like a good idea.

Thanks for your help Katie.

-Brant

0 Kudos
BrantCarman
Occasional Contributor

Katie,

I believe I've figured out my problem.  When I published the FS, the only layer that was turned on was layer 0.  The other layers are still published with the FS and show up in AGOL, but for whatever reason, they do not show up in ArcMap when added to an MXD from AGOL.  I tried publishing my FS with the other layers turned on, and they seem to show up in ArcMap just fine now.  Still seems like a bug to me, but at least I know how to avoid it now!

Thanks for your help.

-Brant

MauriceLapierre1
New Contributor II

I am experiencing the same issue.  Adding data from ArcGIS online to ArcMap and only getting one layer out of 5.  Alternatively connecting to My Hosted Services and dragging the FS into ArcMap works.  All 5 layers are added to ArcMap this way.  Although this option does not appear to be available to someone with "user" level access.  The work around was to save the FS to a layer file and send that layer file to the end user to add to ArcMap.  And this seems to happen after managing the FS layers symbology in ArcGIS online web map.  Seem's like a bug to me too.  

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Maurice,

How are you adding the service to ArcMap when it doesn't work? I see you say it works as expected if it is dragged in from the ArcCatalog window > My Hosted Services.

0 Kudos
DanielleKulas
Occasional Contributor III

I'm also experiencing the issue that Maurice describes. When adding the service to ArcMap via the feature service's details page or through my content with the 'Open in ArcGIS Desktop' option, only the first layer of my feature service of three layers shows up. If I go through My Hosted Services, all layers come into ArcMap fine, but as Maurice says other users won't have access to that option for services hosted by myself.

I did some testing on a Feature Service of mine that did not previously experience this issue and noticed that after adding a field to the attribute table of a layer in the webmap in ArcGIS Online, then adding the feature service to ArcMap, I was able to replicate the issue. The other posters reference symbology issues but I believe my issue has more to do with a schema change after originally publishing of the Feature Service.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Danielle,

I suggest contacting Support Services regarding this issue. Here is a similar sounding bug, but yours seems to be different: BUG-000098263: Adding a hosted feature service in ArcMap using the .. 

-Kelly

DanielleKulas
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Danielle,

Thanks for contacting Support. IT looks like the issue that you ran into is the following bug: NIM104467: Multiple feature classes published as a hosted featu.. 

The following workaround can get you up and running while this is investigated:

Add the feature service to ArcMap from the Catalog window and multiple features get added: 1. Open ArcMap > Sign-in to ArcGIS Online. 2.Go to Catalog window > Click the ‘+’ sign beside ‘My Hosted Services’ > Drag the feature service.