What is the best way to take data from a generic REST endpoint and put it into a webmap?

06-04-2020 02:09 PM
DanielGetz
New Contributor III

Hi all.

I am working with data from a 3rd party vendor that is accessible from a 'generic' (non-mapping) REST endpoint. I present credentials to an OAuth2 URL and get a token back that allows me to make the API calls I have to make from there. From reading the documentation, they don't seem to offer any ArcGIS REST capabilities. (nothing easy to add like servername.xom/arcgis/rest/services/SampleWorldCities/MapServer) The data itself has a lat long value and some other readings from the sensors and is returned in a JSON format. Ideally the data would be updated every 5 minutes or so, and is updated in near real time on the vendor's servers. 

What is the best way to get this data regularly and then put it into a webmap? FME? Geoevent server? Some other way I'm not aware of?

Basic data flow 

API --> Spatial Data Store --> service(?) --> web map --> web apps 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Daniel Getz‌,

Developer Communities

Another option may be ArcGIS Analytics for IoT | Map Internet of Things Data. Also if the features are returned in GeoJSON format they will be able to be added dynamically via URL to ArcGIS Online at an upcoming release: https://community.esri.com/ideas/13029 

Hope this helps,

-Peter