Web Map/App Default Attribute Table Column Order

12-09-2021 04:44 PM
AaronGaines1
New Contributor

Question:

Is there a way to make it so the columns in my feature layers and tables are NOT automatically sorted alphabetically?

Do I really have to now open up the Classic Map Viewer because the new one is seemingly broken, reorder all of the columns for each layer (over 10 layers, up to 60 fields a layer) by configuring popups for a second time? Please tell me I am missing something obvious.

Rant:

I get sorting rows, but I cannot fathom changing the order of my fields/columns by default. Tables are made logically. Take a customer list for example. Customer ID, name, number, address, email . . . why would I want to display the address first? How is that the default, especially when there is no easy way to change it?

I spent a good portion yesterday resorting my columns by configuring pop-ups. It seems that work has been reverted due to some update this week.

Now it looks as if my popups and attribute tables are configured correctly, at least in the current Map Viewer. However, in the web application the attribute tables display my fields alphabetically.

My next troubleshoot is to open the map in the Classic are see what it is looking like there. But of course that will break all of my layer groups which is another unfun waste of time.

Why not use the attribute table to control the pop-ups? Also why is the default not simply using original table order for both automatically? Especially when the only option is to go back and undo all of the damage done by hand.

5 Replies
BrettLessner
Occasional Contributor

Aaron,

Giving this post a bump - very frustrating issue.

0 Kudos
FionaMelville
New Contributor II

Hi Aaron did you manage to resolve this as I am having the same issues with new map viewer. Disappointing there has been no support for this area which is a key issue for effective workflows.

Fiona

0 Kudos
IceyeAnalytics
New Contributor II

Suffering from the same problem. It does not matter where or how I order the columns of the Field List Pop up that is automatically sorted to what it seems alphanumerically order. 

0 Kudos
TeamMukilteo
New Contributor

Hey, anyone still looking for a workaround: 

This only happens in the new Web Map from what I can tell, but if you open the web map in "Web Map Classic," which is thankfully still active as of this reply, it'll bring the attribute table in the default order. You can save and switch back to the new Web Map if needed.

HOWEVER, this may break anything you have with the new web map that could be reversed by using the classic web map. This needs to be fixed though, and ESRI needs to stop pushing unfinished things like this out before making them the default tool. So many issues with the new web map...

DhyeyPandya
New Contributor

I am not sure if this issue has been resolved. But is there any other workaround yet?

0 Kudos