Select to view content in your preferred language

Adding Attachments (Images) to a Non-Hosted Feature Layer

Jump to solution
12-27-2023 08:36 AM
Rgehman
Occasional Contributor

I'm curious if there is a practical way to add attachments to features in ArcGIS Online, specifically images in Field Maps applications, without using a hosted feature layer which would require regular syncing with the original layer in the Geodatabase. I am aware that for hosted feature layers, it is as simple as enabling attachments on the layer and taking the photo when filling in the rest of the fields, but there doesn't seem to be a good way to do this same thing with a non-hosted feature layer. 

For context, I am trying to figure out a way to add photos to a record in ArcGIS online when mapping the feature itself. We currently take photos of the features we are mapping, followed by a photo of their ID tag, and then manually sort them out in the office. It would be great to be able to take a photo in the field and have it become automatically associated with that record like is already possible for hosted feature layers. Is this possible?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Oh ok - I assumed not portal as the post said Online, in the Online subforum. This clears it up a bit.

Hosted feature layers are easy to setup. User managed reference services require some extra steps.

Enable attachments on the feature class

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/enable-attachments.htm

Then publish (or overwrite). Some guidance here:

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/publish-services/linux/prepare-data-for-feature-servi...

You'll need to have the feature class / geodatabase ready and have the service configured correctly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Field Maps supports adding new features and updating existing ones. Photos can be added during either editing method.

I'm not quite sure what the issue is?

No, it's not possible to collect photos in field maps without associating them to a feature. But you could create the feature during collection. Or add to existing feature.

ID fields, location intersects and an attachments table in your geodatabase should help align data collection.

0 Kudos
Rgehman
Occasional Contributor

Yes, the functionality is there for hosted feature layers. I'm not trying to collect photos without associating them with a feature. I want to do the opposite- collect photos that are associated with features in a non-hosted feature layer as one would with a hosted feature layer. In Field Maps, there is not an option to attach a photo when editing features in layers that are not hosted. 

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

To edit non-hosted services requires ArcGIS Server and feature classes in enterprise geodatabases. These days often deployed as ArcGIS Enterprise using Portal for ArcGIS instead of ArcGIS Online. This would allow you to directly edit the feature class via a service.

Within ArcGIS Online, without ArcGIS Server, it's not directly possible. You could hosted the data in ArcGIS Online for both Pro and field maps , periodically backing it up. Or setup a routine python script to look for changes in your hosted feature later and bring them down to the file geodatabase.

0 Kudos
Rgehman
Occasional Contributor

I should've clarified in the original post- my organization uses an Enterprise system and Portal. I regularly edit feature classes directly through Field Maps/Portal, but I don't seem to have an option to attach photos to those features like I could for a hosted layer. 

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Oh ok - I assumed not portal as the post said Online, in the Online subforum. This clears it up a bit.

Hosted feature layers are easy to setup. User managed reference services require some extra steps.

Enable attachments on the feature class

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/enable-attachments.htm

Then publish (or overwrite). Some guidance here:

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/publish-services/linux/prepare-data-for-feature-servi...

You'll need to have the feature class / geodatabase ready and have the service configured correctly.

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Also, you can add photos to referenced (non-hosted) ArcGIS Server feature services. It just requires extra setup by enabling the capability.