using custom marker symbols in ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
02-27-2017 01:19 PM
TahirTamba1
New Contributor III

Hi all,
I'm currently working in a geological mapping project for publishing and sharing information surficial geology in ArcGIS Online with the public. I made a mxd project that I published as a hosted feature layer. Unfortunatelly all my custom marker symbols used with ArcGIS Desktop have been subtituted and I cannot find inside ArcGIS Online custom line symbols to subtitute those deprecated.

Does anybody has a workaround?

Regards!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XiaolongFeng1
New Contributor III

Hi Tahir,

However, we do support using an online image to be the symbol of the feature.

You can find how to do it here: Change Style reference—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

...and if you want to use your own symbol, click Use an image, enter the URL of the image, and click the add button Add. For best results, use a square image (PNG, GIF, or JPEG) no greater than 120 pixels wide by 120 pixels high. Other sizes will be adjusted to fit....

Hope this is helpful.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Tahir,

I believe this is what happens when publishing layers to the cloud. I think the only way to keep your custom symbology is to publish to an enterprise solution like ArcGIS Server. At least, that is what I have personally experienced.

This site shows what is supposed in ArcGIS Server Map Services

Supported functionality in map services—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Layer symbology

The following layer symbology options are available:

• Charts
  • Dot density
  • Graduated colors
  • Graduated symbols
  • Proportional symbols
  • Representations (recommended for cached maps only)
  • Single symbol
  • Unique values
0 Kudos
TahirTamba1
New Contributor III

Hi Adrian,

Indeed, I had serious doubts that custom symbols were not supported in ArcGIS Online. However, our service does not have an ArcGIS Server license. We had an Organization account. We will have to think about a way to represent certain types of geological information to be faithful to the original raster map ...

Thank you for this clarification.

TRegards!Regards!

0 Kudos
XiaolongFeng1
New Contributor III

Hi Tahir,

However, we do support using an online image to be the symbol of the feature.

You can find how to do it here: Change Style reference—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

...and if you want to use your own symbol, click Use an image, enter the URL of the image, and click the add button Add. For best results, use a square image (PNG, GIF, or JPEG) no greater than 120 pixels wide by 120 pixels high. Other sizes will be adjusted to fit....

Hope this is helpful.

TonyLeggett
New Contributor II

Hi Xiaolong,

If i want to change the selected image automatically according to a field in the feature, how would i do that?

Regards,

Tony

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Tony,

This may be possible using Arcade expressions:

Change style—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

-Kelly

TonyLeggett
New Contributor II

Thanks Kelly, that worked nicely. I inserted this snippet as a test. Found the Custom (Expression) menu option hidden at the bottom of the Choose attribute to show list. The next step is to find or create some high quality tropical cyclone symbols with background transparency.

Function showImg(value){
    if (value == '1'){
        return 'TC1a.png'
    }
    if (value == '0'){
        return 'TC1b.png'
    }
}
showImg($feature.category)

YukiHuang
New Contributor II

A further question about this:

I want to use an image as a symbol, and all the URLs to the images are stored in a field of the attribute table. Is there a way to automate this process?

Thank you!