Select to view content in your preferred language

Use of private images in a popup in ArcGIS online

Jump to solution
3 weeks ago
ngwoodhouse
New Contributor II

We created our first popup with an image based on a URL. Where this worked, we have privacy issues with the notion that this has to be public to get a URL. Is there a way that we can get a URL and only share the data within our organization? This must be possible because we have exported an OIC to ArcGIS online and the image frame is viewable. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ngwoodhouse
New Contributor II

It seems that you can circumvent the image addition by defining an attachment instead. This, then, pushes the image to the cloud where it can be used without making it public. This solves the privacy issue we have. For now, using credits is not an issue, but as we scale this may change 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You can attach the images to the features, that way the pictures follow the sharing settings of the layer itself. Or you could host the images on a web server somewhere outside of your Portal and just use the appropriate settings on that server to restrict access.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
ngwoodhouse
New Contributor II

Josh,

Thanks for your answer. I was hoping to do this programmatically because we have hundreds if not thousands of images to inject this way. It is Ok to put the data into the cloud. My question about private was that ArcGIS online supports it, i.e. just in the organization. I'm unsure why the images have to be public and suggest that this is probably an AWS implementation issue.

0 Kudos
ngwoodhouse
New Contributor II

It seems that you can circumvent the image addition by defining an attachment instead. This, then, pushes the image to the cloud where it can be used without making it public. This solves the privacy issue we have. For now, using credits is not an issue, but as we scale this may change 🙂

0 Kudos