Can you define the extent of a hosted feature layer on creation?

01-17-2017 09:02 AM
JonathanBailey
Occasional Contributor III

When a hosted feature layer is created, its extent is set to the global extent ((-180, -90) to (180, 90)). This can be changed by changing the hosted feature layer's settings in ArcGIS Online. Obviously, , however, there are many hosted feature layers that aren't global in their scope. Is there a way to automatically set the extent of the hosted feature layer when it's created, such as to the extent of the features in the layer?

4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

If you are publishing from Pro or ArcMap you can set the extent for the map before publishing. How are you publishing your hosted feature service?

0 Kudos
JonathanBailey
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Katie,

I'm publishing from ArcMap. I've set the extent of the data frame to be the extent of the feature layer. However, when I publish the map as a service, the extent of the hosted feature layer is the global extent.

I've also tried setting a fixed extent for the data frame, to no avail.

Thanks,

Jon.

0 Kudos
WenfengLi
New Contributor III

My question is more general. Would it be possible to change any default setting when we publish a hosted layer to a Portal. More specifically, I need  "supportsAttachmentsByUploadId" is false instead of true. But Portal 10.6.1 is automatically set it to true.

I would imagine there is an admin user interface or a master config file that I can make this default change. Just wonder.

0 Kudos
HollyBaun1
New Contributor II

Katie Cullen‌ or Jonathan Bailey‌ Did you ever resolve this issue? I am having the same problem with a tax parcel layer hosted on Portal 10.7.1. It was originally uploaded as part of the Tax Parcel Viewer solution deployed in 10.6. I have edited the extent to be the same as my organization (our county boundaries) in the layer properties. Its setting appear to be saved at the new extent, but the layer is still displaying at the default global extent in Catalog and when I add it to Pro. 

0 Kudos