Transfer Content within Organizational Account

04-26-2023 09:05 AM
ZacharyUhlmann1
Occasional Contributor III

For some reason I named my AGOL username as <oldemail>.  Now that email has been replaced, and I want to change the username to something more current - <newusername>.  Unfortunately changing usernames is not permitted.  So I have been instructed by tech support to 1) create a new account with new name. 2) transfer content from outdated email-named account to the new account. 3) remove old account. 

Apologies if terminology is incorrect.  This is all within one organizational account, and the members within it.  My worry is...I have 3 years worth of content --> something bad will happen to some content.  Let's say all the content solely contains content owned by <oldemail> user and will be transfered to <newusername> user.  Does anybody envision any issues with this workflow?  

thanks,

Zach

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

We've had users leave our organization before and I've had all of their content (hundreds of items) transferred over to my account. I've simply used the "change ownership" workflow and haven't experienced any issues.

As long as sharing stays the same (make sure your new username as access to all the same groups your old username did) then I don't foresee any issues!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
ZacharyUhlmann1

That's reassuring, thanks.  Some people posted issues related to my question in separate forum posts in this community who encountered problems with transferring content that had sharing of some sort.  I'll give it a shot, dubious that something so easy on ESRI could be achieved without any major turn your computer off and go on a 2 hour walk to blow off steam kind of problem.  TBD...  

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Haha, I totally understand the trepidation. 

I'd be interested to hear how it goes!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
ZacharyUhlmann1

Hi @Katie_Clark - all appears to have gone well.  I needed tech support with the process because one Group owned by the <oldemail> account had some settings related to editing or collaboration (generally speaking, not in the ESRI parlance of formally "Collaboration") that prohibited transferring content without some workarounds.