Select to view content in your preferred language

Single Feature Service View from Multiple Parent Services

yesterday
BrianBasarich
New Contributor

I just want to confirm, a hosted feature service view can only have layers and tables from a single parent service, is that correct?

If so, is there a reason for this limitation?  The layer definitions passed to the REST API addToDefiniton method contain an attribute that identifies the parent service.  So, the structure of the API seems to support it.

I'm not trying to combine layers from different parent services into a single layer in my view.  Instead, I'm trying to group different layers from different parent feature services into a single feature service view.  For example, county layers from a US_Counties feature service and city layers from a US_Cities feature service.

I know I can accomplish this same thing, somewhat, with a webmap, but why can't I do this with a feature service view?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

A View is based on a data source. It will inherit from the source. You can't really combine multiple hosted feature layers sources into one view. You could republish the data sources as one hosted Feature Layer, and create views from that. It's designed to control access and capabilities to the data.

There is a new capability called Group Layer Items that may be want you are looking for. You take several layers or views and save them as an item. Seems like a layer file in ArcGIS Pro.

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/mapping/group-layer-items-a-new-way-to-bring...

0 Kudos