Recognizing Time Fields in ArcGIS Online

10-09-2019 09:32 AM
DavidDeMarco1
New Contributor II

Ok I am sure this is too simple for most everyone here, but I am stumped. I have a large dataset with start and stop times for fire department 911 incidents in my county. The data is formatted like this:

I can edit the table in Excel and/or desktop and have the date formatting meet any requirements. But none of the above are recognized as date fields by ArcGIS Online:

What step am I missing? I would like to animate this data with a start and stop time for each point... I can make it work on Desktop but it is not working online.

Help?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi David DeMarco‌,

I'm wondering if the date is being stored as a text field. If you attach the Excel file here I would be happy to take a quick look. 

Thanks,

-Peter

DavidDeMarco1
New Contributor II

Added a 50 line sample with formats copied to the original post. Thank you for looking.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi David DeMarco

I didn't see the issue with your 50 line sample. How are you adding it to ArcGIS Online? The way I added was from My Content > Add > My Computer > browse to Excel file. Then I used the latitude and longitude in the spreadsheet to plot the locations and chose to publish the item as a Hosted Feature Layer. Here is what I see when I go to enable time: 

Hope this helps,

-Peter

0 Kudos
DavidDeMarco1
New Contributor II

Thanks Peter. I will try it that way and see what happens. I have been doing the X/Y plotting in Desktop and then uploading the shapefile rather than the table.