Public Maps Not Public - Requires Login?

10-04-2012 08:01 AM
MichaelSemenek
New Contributor III
I created several public "Web Maps" and "Web Mapping Applications" in the past. No problems - they work great on my Verizon HTC smart phone. But now every time I try to make a web map public and\or web mapping application public. Its not public. The Access and Use Constraints URL redirects to the arcgis online login page on my phone? What am I missing? Is anyone else running into this issue?  Shared with Everyone (public) is checked "ON".....

My workstation opens up the application just fine... My phone redirects to the log in page.

I used the "Make Web Application" with the new "Simple Map Viewer" template.
Tags (2)
23 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
I suspect you didn't share the items referenced as public as well.

For example, if you publish a web application that references a web map (they all do), that in turn references a hosted service, all of these have to be shared with everyone. Otherwise, you'll get challenged to log in.

We're working to alert you to this fact when you share your web application.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
MichaelSemenek
New Contributor III
Additional Information: Both the Web Map and Web Mapping Application have been shared as public. I can access the application from my workstation. (No log in required, both open up just fine). But I cannot access the web mapping application from my phone. It redirects me to the log in page.

We have token security setup on our ArcGIS server but the service utilized is shared with everyone.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Can you share the URL to your application?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
MichaelSemenek
New Contributor III
Mike

Test web mapping application for Benchmark Data. (Will not open on Phone - Will redirect or I get a white screen nothing happens) Works fine on my workstation.....

http://arcgis.com/apps/SimpleMapViewer/index.html?appid=adf2ce1ce7d340898d330e6b3a8f6b68&webmap=7c8f...

Web mapping application I created for the 2012 Ryder Cup: (Opens up on Phone \ No Problems.)

http://www.arcgis.com/apps/TwoPane/chrome/index.html?appid=90a3e4bbcca947aa82ae934476a1539f&webmap=0...

Note: Going Home...  Done for the day. Give the links a try on your smart phone, laptop and\or workstation.
Thanks. Mike S.
0 Kudos
RobertSwett
New Contributor II
I look forward to the answer to this question. An Extension agent at the University of Florida is having a similar issue with a map embedded in his county website: http://bay.ifas.ufl.edu/seagrant/reefs. The creator, a Sea Grant agent, created it some time ago using his personal ArcGIS online account and then embedded it in his work related website. However, recently, clicking on the map results in a popup sign in window (which didn't happen before). I tried signing in with my ArcGIS online credentials, but the resulting message tells me I don�??t have access to the resource (whereas the resource/map was fully accessible in the weeks before.)
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
@michael
For the first link, it seems like you may need to share the published application item publicly. Check the sharing state of that item. Both the application and the web map need to be shared publicly. Sorry to take so long to reply...this one got burried in all the posts.

@Bob - you would need to contact the person who created the map. It looks like it may not be shared publicly anymore, thus prompting you for a login.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
MichaelSemenek
New Contributor III
To Mike M.,
In my previous post:
The first URL listed was deleted\removed. That's why the URL will not open.......

What I found: I received a blank screen or redirect to login using the "Simple Map Viewer" template on my droid smart phone. The Two Pane and Basic Viewer templates opened up just fine. I ended up using the "Basic Viewer" template for our NAVD88 Benchmarks application.... Even though my issue was not resolved, opening up the "Web Mapping Application" on a smart phone is NOT the way to go. Difficult to zoom in and select features, everything's to small on screen. You should only open up the "Web Map" on a smart phone.  Thanks for your help.

To Bob:
Mike M. from ESRI is correct. You would need to contact the person who created the map. It looks like it's not shared to Everyone (Public) anymore. The "Web Map" and "Web Mapping Application" must be shared to Everyone (Public).

Thanks, Mike S.
0 Kudos
BaffourAwuah
New Contributor III

I am having the same problem with my feature service map. The public can't open it despite making it public. Any help?

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Baffour,

If your users are being prompted to login, check to ensure that the web map and all of the layers in the map have been shared with everyone. If this is the case, and you are sharing a web map via your organizations url, ensure that anonymous access is enabled, or modify the ult to come from www.arcgis.com.

-Kelly

0 Kudos