Select to view content in your preferred language

Problems with WFS on ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
04-12-2023 02:20 AM
Labels (1)
Fgarriga
New Contributor II

I have created a WFS service (points) with Geoserver. I'm having a problem uploading to ArcGIS online.
If I load a new element in ArcGIS, everything is correct, but adding the layer in Map Viewer does not work, only if from Map Viewer you load the WFS with the URL.
Another function that does not work is that if I want to zoom to an element from a list in a Dashboard application, the zoom to the element does not work for me.
Some clue?
Thank you

14 Replies
MirnaVuckovic-Pepeonik
New Contributor

I also have an issue with projection. When I add WFS to Map Viewer using 'Add layer from URL,' there are no projection issues. However, when I add WFS as a new item - URL, and then open it in the map viewer, I encounter projection issues. It is important for us to be able to add WFS as an item on ArcGIS Online for the whole organization. Is there any clue to what would cause this problem?

0 Kudos
PeterHodkinson
Esri Contributor

Hi @MirnaVuckovic-Pepeonik I'm sorry to hear you're having these issues.

Are you able to share the URL for your WFS?

Is it possible that the projection of your basemap is different between these two workflows perhaps?

0 Kudos
MirnaVuckovic-Pepeonik
New Contributor

Hi Peter,

I sent you WFS link to test it.

When I open map viewer and add layer from url, everything works fine:

MirnaVuckovicPepeonik_0-1711096429959.png

However, when I add url as a new item on AGOL and then open it in map viewer, projection is off.

MirnaVuckovicPepeonik_1-1711096611955.png

We need to be able to add url as a new item for publishing purposes on our ArcGIS HUB.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Mirna

0 Kudos
PeterHodkinson
Esri Contributor

Sorry for the slow reply @MirnaVuckovic-Pepeonik, and thanks for sending the URL to test with.

Here is what I've found:

The capabilities document for your WFS lists EPSG 3765 as the default CRS - <wfs:DefaultCRS>urn:ogc:def:crs:EPSG::3765</wfs:DefaultCRS>

EPSG 4326 (WGS84) will be available by default too (see https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/publish-services/linux/wfs-services.htm#ESRI_SECTION1...)

Examining the web traffic while testing the two different workflows shows that when adding the layer within map viewer, the GetFeature requests specify that EPSG 3765 is the desired CRS for the features (SRSNAME=EPSG%3A3765 is appended as a request parameter). Features are returned correctly in this coordinate system and displayed in the right location.

When opening in map viewer from the content item, the requests instead specify EPSG 4326 as the desired CRS. The WFS does correctly return features in this coordinate system as per the request, but I believe that Map Viewer is for some reason interpreting the coordinates as though they were in EPSG 3765 - which results in them appearing elsewhere.

I'm not sure why the second workflow causes Map Viewer to request the features in EPSG 4326, or why it does not interpret the returned results as being in this coordinate system. It's possible either that this could be a Map Viewer defect or that adjusting the WFS configuration could help.

It may be best to contact your local Esri distributor for further technical support with this. If there is a defect at play, they will be able to get it logged for you. It might also be worth testing whether the same issue occurs if you set your organisation's default basemap to one which uses EPSG 3765? (https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/administer/configure-map.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_1224F13B9D2B451DB...)

I hope this is helpful

MirnaVuckovic-Pepeonik
New Contributor

Hi Peter,

thank you for your time and reply. I will definitely contact our local distributor for further testing.

Best regards,

Mirna

0 Kudos