Problems with adding user into Partnered Collaboration Group (from within own organization)

03-22-2022 11:31 AM
Labels (1)
KatieGaut
Occasional Contributor

I've successfully set up a partnered collaboration group and have added members from the other organization with no problems.  I'm getting the following error when adding members from within my OWN organization into the group.  Both users have an "Editor" license level and, although I don't see anything in the documentation on partnered collaborations, I'm suspecting a "Creator" license may be needed.  Can anyone confirm?

Error:  "Unable to add the user to the group. They may not have the privileges necessary to join this group, or may already be a member in the maximum number of groups (512)."

Follow Up Question:  If a Creator license is indeed required, would creating a 2nd internal organizational group (non partnered collaboration) and sharing those same items essentially work in the same way (sharing the items of interest in both groups) or are there unanticipated pitfalls I'm not realizing?  Any thoughts would be appreciated! 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello Katie,

I'm not an expert on partnered collaborations but I did a search on your question and it led me to this information:  https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/reference/roles.htm 

Hope this helps.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
KatieGaut
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Amanda!  This did help - and led me to see that I need to create a "Custom Role" for those editor licenses and allow them permission to "Join External Groups".  Although I did that, then assigned those licenses this custom role - I still don't have the ability to add them to this partnered collaboration group.  It may be time for a tech support ticket.... 

KatieGaut_0-1648047393274.png

ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

As a test... try creating a new partnered collaboration group and then try adding the editors with shared group permissions.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
KatieGaut
Occasional Contributor

Amanda - 

Good idea.  I set another test group up - and still couldn't add them....  I CAN add them to groups without the shared updates, so it's certainly linked to that permission setting.  I guess I'll start a ticket with ESRI and will report back with their thoughts!

Katie

PWhelpdale
New Contributor

I had this issue recently and it seemed to be a result of the following setting under collaboration details  'Allow this organization to search for members from YOUR ORGANISATION'. When this is toggled off not only can that other organisation not search for your members but it seems to override the ability to add your members to the group (I guess as a way to maintain the rule that the other organisation isn't allowed to see your members, which they could if they were then in that group). Toggling this setting to on allowed me to add the users as normal then and I've suggested to ESRI to add some wording under that setting to make it clear that by having it toggled off it means only collaboration coordinators can be members of that group from your organisation.

All the best

Phil

0 Kudos