Updating a file geodatabase and hosted feature layers with new data

01-18-2023 07:45 AM
KatharinePerkin
New Contributor

Is there a way to regularly update a file geodatabase via overwrite or append with new layers and updated data?

I have a geodatabase containing several feature classes that will 1. Have additional new feature classes added to it over time and 2. need to edit/update existing feature classes data.

The file geodatabase I have in ArcGIS Online contains 5 layers, I need to add 3 new layers and the existing 5 layers need their attribute data and geometry updated regularly.  
I have tried updating via the File Geodatabase and the Hosted Feature Layer to no avail.

Using overwrite on the hosted feature layer created from the File Geodatabase I imported into ArcGIS Online, I receive an error “There was an error publishing the service.”. I am assuming this is because overwriting a hosted feature layer stipulates that “Note: All field names and layers in the file you upload must be the same as the original file.”

Using append I can only edit data in the already imported hosted feature layer (layer by layer, not all at once).

So, how can I regularly add new layers and regularly update data in a Hosted Feature Layer created from a File Geodatabase?

This doesn’t seem to be a functionally Esri offers.

1 Reply
Keiran_Bray
New Contributor II

There might be a few different ways you could do this, ill take a bit of a look tomorrow, but if you do have access to ArcGIS Pro, you can bring the feature service into ArcGIS Pro and edit the hosted feature layer from there, provided it has editing enabled.

From there you might be able to run an append on the hosted feature layer using the append tool (taking a guess) or edit the feature layer as new data comes into the hosted feature layer, 

This technical article has a bit more information on it (just found it): 
https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000020494 

0 Kudos