Print service

07-29-2013 12:12 PM
TimothieBiggs
New Contributor II
Hello -

We are trying to figure out how to print from AGOL.

Using ESRI's default print service:
- when we click the print icon from a web map - we get a simple print preview page (but no layout)
- when we click the print icon from some of the app templates - it says 'printing' but nothing happens!
- when we click the print icon from the 'parcel finder' template - we get a lovely map layout which we can print successfully!

However both of the last two options fail if the data is on the local server and not in the cloud. Except (late breaking news) we seem to be successful if the data in map is a feature service while it fails if it is a tiled service...?

Trying a different stratergy we tried to enter our own print service into the site configuration but got an error message 'The print service URL you have entered is invalid or inaccessible'. Any ideas why this would be? I am not a server person but our service is an http address whereas our site is set up as SSL only - could this be it?

Timothie
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
JenniferMinnick
Occasional Contributor

It would seem that ESRI is silent on this issue.

Unless you have also purchased ArcServer for another upteen thousand dollars and have someone who knows how to use it for your 2 or 3 people.

I thought AGOL would be a useful replacement for Microsoft MapPoint (which is being retired) but I'm finding that is not the case (at this point).

I'm disappointed and sorry that I don't have an answer for you (or me as I'm having the same problem).

0 Kudos
DavinShokes1
Occasional Contributor II

I was also having issues with the default print service. Even though it says "Esri Default", it wasn't working. So I pasted in an invalid url and clicked save before the message box popped up. Went back into setting and it still said "Esri Default." Saved again and it magically allowed printing from map viewer and web appbuilder, But from hosted content only. Esri print service does not appear to receive the encrypted credentials for non hosted layers. In case it helps, I was testing with a private local feature service accessed from a non SSL IIS with the web adaptor.

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

The Esri default print service provides very basic printing. It is not intended to produce high fidelity, large format printouts. You are correct when you say that the printing options vary somewhat within the platform. Currently, the most configurable printing can be had from an application created from the Web App Builder.

If your organization uses the default print service, layers that are not accessible externally, time-aware layers, and KML ground overlays and network links without refresh properties do not appear on a printed map. If your organization uses a custom print service, certain types of layers may not appear on a printed map.

An organization can specify their own print service, that is running in house on an ArcGIS Server instance that is externally accessible. This allows you to create your own layouts and expose them in your custom applications.

Hope this helps,

Mike

0 Kudos
VeronicaAnderson2
New Contributor III

Mike -

Can an organization specify our own print service if we aren't using Server? The scale bar that shows up on the default layout is in miles and that's not helpful for civil engineering at a parcel/street level.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

The print service has to be running on ArcGIS Server.

Mike

0 Kudos
DavidBrooks5
New Contributor III

Im having the same issue. Have created a Print Service on an ArcGIS Server which is accessible through a DDNS url. Can hit the rest over the internet, but get the same error "The print service URL you have entered is invalid or inaccessible." 

This is when I try and add to an AGOL organisation in the Edit Settings > Utility Services menu. Same issue when I add the custom print service to the print widget in the web app builder.

My services are HTTP not HTTPS, and I have HTTPS only unchecked. Will AGOL still refuse HTTP print services?

0 Kudos
wadsonmakari
New Contributor III

Hi David,

Have you been able to resolve this issue as I am having exactly the same behaviour?

Kind regards,

0 Kudos
DavidBrooks5
New Contributor III

I abandoned this mission a long time ago! Hope you find what the problem is.

0 Kudos