Select to view content in your preferred language

My map has gone away

04-16-2013 06:41 AM
PaulStahlschmidt
New Contributor
Greetings. I noticed today that my map application and my web-map are not coming up. I tried to load each from my contents page, and got an error message about Bing Maps: The map cannot be drawn because the owner has not provided a Bing Key for the Bing Map it includes. Can anyone help me get my map back up?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
You  need to acquire a BING KEY to use bing road maps in your ArcGIS Online application. 

www.bingmapsportal.com

Greetings. I noticed today that my map application and my web-map are not coming up. I tried to load each from my contents page, and got an error message about Bing Maps: The map cannot be drawn because the owner has not provided a Bing Key for the Bing Map it includes. Can anyone help me get my map back up?
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Existing maps with a bing basemap should continue to work. If, however, you edit the web map, then you'll need to change the basemap or get a Bing key. Did you edit and save these web maps? Any saved change will mean the Bing basemap will no longer work.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
JefMarti
New Contributor
I encountered the same issue: the Bing Maps message, so I attempted to edit my map to select a different base layer.   However, I was not able to edit my map to select a different base layer until I choose to "Open In ArcGIS Explorer Online".    When I tried to "Open In ArcGIS.com Map Viewer" the page would direct to a default "My Map" without any uploaded layers.

Once I figured this out, I was able to select a new base layer and save it as my revised map.
0 Kudos
PaulStahlschmidt
New Contributor
I did edit the map, save it and then it was gone. BUT, I followed what Water Res did, and it worked for me the same way. Yay. Thanks guys
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Existing maps with a bing basemap should continue to work. If, however, you edit the web map, then you'll need to change the basemap or get a Bing key. Did you edit and save these web maps? Any saved change will mean the Bing basemap will no longer work.

Thanks,

Mike

Can public accounts even add a Bing key? We added one in our subscription account, but I don't see anywhere to add one for free accounts. This happened to me and I'm pretty disappointed in this. We were told that Bing maps would continue to work with free accounts. I don't recall seeing anything that stated if we updated and saved a map, that the Bing basemap would magically disappear and we would no longer be able to open the map.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
No, public accounts can't provide a bing key. It is a bug that you are losing your bing map basemap in existing web maps. The issue is, saving any web map that currently has a bing basemap, the bing basemap will be removed. We have a fix for this that will go out at the end of next week. In the meantime, avoid the problem by not editing any of your web maps with bing until the fix is live. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Mike
0 Kudos