Select to view content in your preferred language

Odd symbology behavior

04-19-2013 01:48 PM
LisaShertz
New Contributor III
In a map server I have made I have point and polyline data. I symbolized them in ArcMap planning to use that symbology. For the points I made a marker symbol with two 'layers' a character marker symbol and a simple marker symbol. The Symbol for the line is made the same way.

When I view the map server everything looks fine. But I want to be able to create popups. So I bring each map server layer seperately and that is when things get goofy. The points are fine, it is the lines that are drawing oddly. None of the lines draws with the character symbol. One set of lines draws black when is supposed to be green, but other green lines draw as green.

http://bit.ly/11muxIx
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
When you add a map service to a web map as a whole, the drawing of layers is handled by the server, which returns an image to a client, like the web browser. In this case, you essentially have all of ArcMap's symbolization abilities running on the server to draw features. Thus, complex symbology can be drawn.

When you add an individual layer of a map service directly to a web map (e.g., via a url that ends .../MapServer/0), you now are accessing the geometry of the layer, sending it to the client (browser) and having the client draw the features. A web browser can only handle simple line symbology.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos