member login fails

03-17-2020 01:34 PM
DryCreekEng
Occasional Contributor

I have a client in a very rural location. He has wifi but it is not great. Many times, he has tried to login to his AGOL account but it fails.  I have reset his account and password a few times, but it still happens.  Attached is the log from today of his attempted tries.  I know he is using the correct username and password.  

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

natalie 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
BenTurrell
Occasional Contributor III

Hey Natalie Martinkus‌,

One thing you could look at is the network traffic on the users end. You can do this by opening the developer tools (F12 in most browsers) and then clicking on the network tab. It looks like this:

Then when the user tries to login they will be able to see the requests being made and potentially where the issue is being caused. You would be looking for timeout errors here or 4xx errors.

Happy to discuss further!

Thanks,

Ben

If this answer was helpful please mark it as helpful. If this answer solved your question please mark it as the answer to help others who have the same question.

DryCreekEng
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ben,

Thanks so much for the quick reply.  I am very much NOT an IT person, so you may need to speak slowly and use small words with me   Do I hit F12 from the web browser my client is using?  What would an error look like, and how would I go about fixing it? 

Natalie 

0 Kudos
BenTurrell
Occasional Contributor III

Natalie Martinkus‌,

You will need to run the developer tools on the machine that is having the issues logging in.

Error messages in the network console should show up in red. You will be looking primarily in this column:

Status codes of 304 mean it has already loaded these pages into cache so it doens't need to redownload them to the browsers. 200 code means it was able to successfully download them. Anything starting with a 4xx is normally an error that means the browser can't access the web url.

The network traffic can be quite long as every component of the web page that is retrieved will be in here but you can quickly scan for any red error messages. If you see any take a screenshot and post them here and I'm happy to have a look.

Thanks,

Ben

DryCreekEng
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Ben, this is very helpful.  

0 Kudos