Mapservice in AGOL Dashboard App Painfully Slow

Jump to solution
12-11-2014 10:05 AM
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

To All AGOL Users:

I have an AGOL Dashboard application that is consuming a hosted mapservice (quite simple) that is used simultaneously in multiple widgets.  The mapservice performance in the Dashboard app as well as at the REST endpoint is painfully slow.  Has anyone using the AGOL Dashboard app encountered this issue?  If so, how were you able to resolve the issue.

24 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Reynald:

The widget is using the same layer from 1 mapservice just configured in different ways to produce different results that are useful to management to accessing the conditions.

In you Dashboard app, did your mapservices originate in AGOL or were they being consumed from your organization's own ArcGIS Server environment?

Reynaldde_Castro
Occasional Contributor

The map service is from our ArcGIS Server.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Reynald:

Are you using the AGOL portal or are you using your own organization's portal?

Are you saying that I should avoid using feature services where I bring in each layer individually from a mapservice instead of the entire mapservice all at once?

0 Kudos
Reynaldde_Castro
Occasional Contributor

I am using our organization's portal.

Yes, I found that adding the individual layers from a map service yields to slow performance compared to loading the entire map service. 

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Reynald:

The mapservice is sourced from a file geodatabase on a file share that is registered with ArcGIS Server.  Is your mapservice sourced from a file geodatabase, SDE, etc.?

The mapservice performs fine until the file geodatabase is updated from a python script where the feature class records are deleted and then added in again.  When this process is running on a 5 minute interval, the mapservice has severe performance issues.  Do you think sourcing the mapservice from SDE would resolve this performance issue?

0 Kudos
Reynaldde_Castro
Occasional Contributor

Potential issue would be network when serving from a file geodatabase and especially when you are running updates every 5 minutes.  How big is the dataset that you are updating?  Are you updating attributes only or both (geometry and attribute)?  If you are updating attributes only then there would not be a need to replace the entire feature class.

Is the map publically accessible?

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Reynald:

The dataset currently only has 29 point features, yet it locks up the mapservice.

Do you think there are file geodatabase locks that could be causing the problem, which would go away if the data was sourced from SDE?

0 Kudos
Reynaldde_Castro
Occasional Contributor

Let me take a step back....the dashboard is using a webmap published to your AGO site.  The webmap is using hosted feature layers within your AGO that is updated from a file geodatabase. The hosted feature is updated every 5 minutes.

Is that right?

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Reynald:

Since you told me that individual feature services would create performance issues, I add a mapservice from my organization's ArcGIS Server to a web map in AGOL as the mapservice is publicly accessible.  This AGOL web map is then used in the Operations Dashboard app.  The mapservice itself originates from an AGS registered file geodatabase that is updated every 5 minutes from a python using an XYeventlayer where all features are deleted and then added.

How do you update the data for your service that is used in the web map for the Operations Dashboard app?

0 Kudos
Reynaldde_Castro
Occasional Contributor

Did the performance of the map service improve?  I created a hosted feature layer on our AGO site and update that.  The feature is used as the datasource for the webmap.

0 Kudos