Mapservice in AGOL Dashboard App Painfully Slow

Jump to solution
12-11-2014 10:05 AM
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

To All AGOL Users:

I have an AGOL Dashboard application that is consuming a hosted mapservice (quite simple) that is used simultaneously in multiple widgets.  The mapservice performance in the Dashboard app as well as at the REST endpoint is painfully slow.  Has anyone using the AGOL Dashboard app encountered this issue?  If so, how were you able to resolve the issue.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Reynaldde_Castro
Occasional Contributor

Potential issue would be network when serving from a file geodatabase and especially when you are running updates every 5 minutes.  How big is the dataset that you are updating?  Are you updating attributes only or both (geometry and attribute)?  If you are updating attributes only then there would not be a need to replace the entire feature class.

Is the map publically accessible?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
24 Replies
JayChen
Esri Contributor

Hi Mike,

Do you add the map service only once in the web map and build operation view using operations dashboard app, and consume the same map service in multiple widgets? If so, the performance shouldn't be low. You mentioned that the map service REST endpoint is also slow, so I am wondering if the performance issue only happens on this specific map service, or other map services as well?

I would like to get more information and see if we can nail down the problem.

Thanks

-Jay

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Jay:

The hosted mapservice was originally configured to be run in high isolation with a minimum of 1 instance per machine and a maximum of 2 instances per machine.  There was terrible performance so the maximum instance was bumped up to 4 instances.

The mapservice was then configured to run in low isolation with 4 instances, but I have not gotten any feedback on performance of this modified mapservice.

Do you think these parameter changes would have an impact on the mapservice performance in the AGOL Dashboard app?

Are there any other changes that you would suggest?

Any help or hints are greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
JayChen
Esri Contributor

Thanks for the information Mike.

As the first step, I would like to isolate the issue to see if this is caused by the map service itself or it's by the operations dashboard app. From your information, it seems if REST end point of the map service is having performance issue, that's the first place to take a closer look. I do not work with Server team, but from my experience, increasing the max number of instances might help. The other place to take a look is the server log. If you enable verbose mode and check server log, it can often tell you something.

-Jay

0 Kudos
JayChen
Esri Contributor

Hi Mike,

I touched base with server team and based upon the information you provided, the map service sounds more like an on-premise ArcGIS Server map service because hosted map service in ArcGIS Online or Portal are typically tile-only services and hence do not have min-max instances.

If you can confirm this, I might be able to see if they have any specific suggestions that you can try out for improving performance.

Thanks

-Jay

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Jay:

It is a hosted on-premise dynamic mapservice whose back-end file geodatabase is getting updated every 5 minutes from a live data source.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Jay:

Does it make sense that a Dashboad app in AGOL that has 7 widgets that are polling a file geodatabase on a county hosted server every 30 seconds would spin up 7 instances to get the data for each widget?  In addition, the file geodatabase on a county hosted server is itself being updated every 5 minutes.

JayChen
Esri Contributor

Hi Mike,

Do you mean 7 instances of AGS service or ops dashboard instances? For ops dashboard, you should only see one instance in Task Manager.

-Jay

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Jay:

I mean 7 instances of AGS service.

Is there any chance I can open an ESRI incident with you on this issue and you already have some background information about the issue?

0 Kudos
Reynaldde_Castro
Occasional Contributor

Did you add each layer from your map service individually or did you add the service all together?  I have found some performance issues when adding each layer from my map service individually as opposed to adding the map service itself.

0 Kudos