Map Tour & Using a Web App

06-14-2016 06:09 AM
LeaHarper2
New Contributor

The downloadable ESRI Map Tour app has been working great when I use the basic Web Map ID. However, I would like to use a Web App ID instead to provide people with the ability to find the specific information that they are looking for from within the data set. The issue I've consistently had is that when I input a Web App ID instead of the map's, it causes the entire story map to not load.

Is there a possible step that I'm missing beyond just copying and pasting the ID into the code?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Lea,

I do not believe that that is the intended behavior of the map tour template. I think the map tour can only load a web map and not a web app.

Tagging Owen Evans​ for verification.

Story Maps

0 Kudos
LeaHarper2
New Contributor

I could be wrong, it's just that the code gives this option and I haven't found anything in the readme or elsewhere to explain it further.TourCode.PNG

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Lea,

Map Tour is designed to accept a web map id that has your tour points. The appid you are referring to in the code isn't the id of a web mapping application item, it's an appid that you get when you register your app on ArcGIS online. See the link below for more details.

Add items—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

Could you please provide a bit more detail about what you are trying to do by feeding in another app to Map Tour?

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
LeaHarper2
New Contributor

I see, thank you for clearing that up Owen!

What I was thinking I could do was use an AGO application within the Map Tour to allow viewers the ability to query out, for instance, lots for sale located in a specific neighborhood of the overall map. From there, the hope would be that only those tour points would show up and thus make the story map more relevant for viewers. So the goal was to allow viewers to customize what they saw in the map tour if they so wished.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Lea,

That would be a pretty cool application - blending the Map Tour with that app you are talking about.

Maybe a somewhat-solution would be using the Shortlist Story Map and using tabs at the top as query/filter items.

In the Shortlist, when you zoom in to more (or less) points, the little picture icons on the side reflect what you see (kind of WYSIWYG style). Using the tabs at the top could help you narrow down categories of points

0 Kudos
LeaHarper2
New Contributor

Adrian,

It's funny that you mention Shortlist - I was torn between that and the Map Tour template when I started this project! I really liked the scroll bar/display of the Map Tour, but also found the tab function of Shortlist useful. The only reason I didn't go with that was because there would just be too many ways that an individual could try to query the data for it to be practical. If I were able to merge the Tour and app idea, that would simplify it all drastically.

0 Kudos