Map Error In New Chrome Update (128.0.6613.85)

Jump to solution
4 weeks ago
Labels (2)
AaronBrake
New Contributor

Hi,

I'm a user of an application that uses ArcGIS, and with the new Chrome Update I'm seeing errors when I make a selection to view on the map.

The error I'm seeing is:

Uncaught TypeError: Failed to execute 'uniform4fv' on 'WebGLRenderingContext': The provided float value is non-finite.
at g.setUniform4fv (webgl.js:16:204)

It occurs about 50 times every time I try to make a new selection. The map now doesn't zoom in/pan to my selection anymore, but will just move a small amount while still making the selection.

Is there anything I can do to update, or is this a known issue?

Thanks in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MattNicol
Regular Contributor

Aaron and I work together - we were using the ArcGIS JavaScript API 4.18 when encountering this behavior.  After updating to 4.30, it worked as expected again.

Edit:  Be on the lookout for API changes too - depending on what version you started from and go to, other functionality might break without code updates.  One example:  The Identify process has breaking changes between 4.18 and 4.30.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
27 Replies
MathewCoyle
Honored Contributor

It may be related to the recent Chromium update. If so it requires an update on the ArcGIS Enterprise deployment.

https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/impact-of-google-chrome-and-microsoft-edge-127-updates...

If this application is entirely hosted on AGOL that shouldn't be the cause though. Do you have any other details on the application? Is it using custom widgets? Created in an older version of App Builder/Experience?

0 Kudos
AaronBrake
New Contributor

I'm not super sure what the implementation of things is, I do know that the error is coming up in the javascript file hosted at: https://js.arcgis.com/4.18/esri/views/webgl.js

Further, I can say that it seems to be an update from today. I saw the usual behavior this morning but then after refreshing chrome from this update I started seeing this behavior.

0 Kudos
ColinWerle1
Esri Contributor

This is a great point. If application is in an ArcGIS Portal environment (10.8.1 - 11.2), you will want to ensure that you have the Portal for ArcGIS Application Display Patch (esri.com) installed. Note: As a best practice, clear the browser cache and re-launch the browser after installing the patch.

It may be a good idea to log a technical support case to continue looking into this as well, perhaps with the SDK team.

0 Kudos
MattNicol
Regular Contributor

Aaron and I work together - we were using the ArcGIS JavaScript API 4.18 when encountering this behavior.  After updating to 4.30, it worked as expected again.

Edit:  Be on the lookout for API changes too - depending on what version you started from and go to, other functionality might break without code updates.  One example:  The Identify process has breaking changes between 4.18 and 4.30.

0 Kudos
DannyKing
New Contributor

We are using the ArcGIS JavaScript API 4.18 as well. If updating to 4.30 is not an immediate option, do you know of a way around this error? Is there a Chrome setting or flag to get around this? Will we have to tell our customers to not upgrade or downgrade their Chrome browser until we can deploy and update to their application with the latest API?

0 Kudos
MattNicol
Regular Contributor

I'm not sure, unfortunately.

The rest of this is pure conjecture, so take it with a grain of salt.  😀

Given the original error, it seems like an interaction between how Chrome handles floating point values and the results of the math that the ArcGIS JavaScript API is doing. 

The reference to a "non-finite" number could refer to something like a JavaScript Infinity or NaN.    The previous version of Chrome probably just essentially ignored it before, but (probably correctly) breaks on it now.

Whatever that calculation involved was seemingly updated sometime after 4.18 such that the result is either not calculated in the first place or no longer returns the "non-finite" number.

That's all a long-winded way of me saying, unless there's a flag you can set in Chrome to change how it handles the "non-finite" number, updating the ArcGIS JS API version is likely the only realistic option.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you know what the lowest ArcGIS JavaScript API version that would resolve this issue?

My org has one web app at ArcGIS JavaScript API version 4.29 and this issue does not exist there.  We have another web app at a different version I think (Not sure), where this exact issue is occurring.

0 Kudos
MattNicol
Regular Contributor

I don't unfortunately - we jumped directly from 4.18 to 4.30.  If you need the minimum version where this is fixed, I'd just keep incrementing the version number until you find where it works.

0 Kudos
DevServiceTitan
New Contributor

4.20 seems to be the lowest version that resolves the issue