Making an map of places I have visited

Jump to solution
04-17-2022 03:08 PM
NathGlas
New Contributor

Good afternoon,

I am trying to create an AGOL map showing US counties that I have visited. I am able to add the ESRI provided US county boundaries layer but cannot edit the fields. I only need to add one field which will be a yes/no for if I have visited. This attribute will be what determines the color scheme of the map. For example, if I have a "yes" county, meaning I have been to it, it may be green, and "no" counties will be red.

TLDR: I need to find how to access county polygons that are writeable.

Thanks for any help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

For writeable polygons, you need to "own" the layer. But for what you're describing, that's not actually necessary.

Using an Arcade expression for your symbology, you could do something like this:

var full_name = $feature.NAME + ', ' + $feature["STATE_NAME"]

var visited_counties = [
    'Kendall County, Illinois',
    'Kane County, Illinois',
    'Cook County, Illinois',
    'Will County, Illinois'
]

return Includes(visited_counties, full_name)

That expression will return a value of true or false, and you can symbolize on that basis.

jcarlson_0-1650285683516.png

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

For writeable polygons, you need to "own" the layer. But for what you're describing, that's not actually necessary.

Using an Arcade expression for your symbology, you could do something like this:

var full_name = $feature.NAME + ', ' + $feature["STATE_NAME"]

var visited_counties = [
    'Kendall County, Illinois',
    'Kane County, Illinois',
    'Cook County, Illinois',
    'Will County, Illinois'
]

return Includes(visited_counties, full_name)

That expression will return a value of true or false, and you can symbolize on that basis.

jcarlson_0-1650285683516.png

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
NathGlas
New Contributor

Josh,

Thank you for your help!  This totally is a workable solution and I appreciate the assistance and motivation to work on my arcade skills!!!  This will make a difference in my understandings of working with data.

Nathaniel G.