Make copy of web application

Jump to solution
11-14-2014 05:05 PM
DanSaul
New Contributor II

I have a AGOL user who has created a story map within a web application. She would like to turn the web app over to an assistant for further modification but would like to create a copy of the web app for safe keeping (version control) so she can revert to the copy if she does not like the changes the assistant makes to the web app. I don't see any way within the AGOL interface to make a copy of a web application. Is there a way to create a backup copy?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Currently there isn't the ability to copy web apps through ArcGIS Online. There are some partner tools and an unsupported tool, ArcGIS Online Assistant that may be able to help. If not, I would suggest making a copy of the webmap and making a second app from the web map.

-Kelly

View solution in original post

8 Replies
BrianHovis
Occasional Contributor II

I did a quick look and nothing was apparent to me. It may depend upon the application.  It is not such an elegant solution, but if the web app doesn't have lots of configurations, the AGOL user could simply publish another web app from the same web map and call it something different.  I am sure you thought of that, but I am not thinking of anything better at this moment.  I look forward to reading what others mention.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Currently there isn't the ability to copy web apps through ArcGIS Online. There are some partner tools and an unsupported tool, ArcGIS Online Assistant that may be able to help. If not, I would suggest making a copy of the webmap and making a second app from the web map.

-Kelly

PhilLarkin
New Contributor III

The ArcGIS Online Assistant will allow users to copy Story Map apps. Not sure about other applications. 

0 Kudos
MohammadIshfaq1
New Contributor II

Hi, I recently was working on a similar task so I can separate developers/analysts space from the production space and tried everything out there except the paid version of 'Admin tools for ArcGIS' and to my surprise no tool currently is good enough to accomplish it without breaking dependencies on linked resources and widgets. It is surprising that AGOL is such a magnificent tool and somehow it is overlooked to provide a defined procedure on cloning user items or separating a development to test to production promotion landscape. Another year is passed since this question was asked, have any one found any solution to it?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you!  I just copied an app that I built using WAB in less than 5 minutes!  For anyone looking at how to do it, click on the "I want to..." drop down and then drag your content into the section on the right.  The copy appeared at the top of All My Content in AGOL.  I added ' - Copy' to the name and moved into the right folder.  Thank you!  This is super helpful.  Now I can troubleshoot solutions to a legend error I am having outside of production. 

JakeKrall
Occasional Contributor III

Sharon Dutton, where do you see the "I want to..." in AGOL?  Screenshot would help too?

0 Kudos
StadsbeheerGIS
New Contributor II

Jake, she meant in the ArcGIS Online Assistant. Too bad it does not seem to work for Operations Dashboard-apps.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for clarifying!

0 Kudos