When uploading a CSV file to ArcGIS Online ... how do you code an image so it appears in the popup box

09-11-2019 02:56 PM
CarlNettleton
New Contributor II

When I use Map Notes in ArcGIS Online, I know how to use the feature that allows an image to appear when the pop-up box opens. How can I achieve the same result when uploading a CSV file with an image? 

Likewise, in Map Notes, I know how to add a link to text. When uploading a CSV file and looking at the popup, instead of see "More Info" with a link, I would like to use descriptive text to describe a source and then have a link embedded in that source so when a viewer clicked on it (i.e. "New York Times story on Ocean Beaches") they would go to the story.

There must be an elegant way to accomplish this! Thanks!!

Tags (1)
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Carl Nettleton‌ - 

Is there a column in the CSV with a URL to an image for each feature? 

This documentation should help with the workflow for displaying the image in the pop-up for the CSV file: Configure pop-ups—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

For using descriptive text to hide the link, I would choose "A Custom Attribute Display" in the Display drop-down on the Configure Pop-up page. This has the capability to create descriptive text that masks a link to a resource. 

If you can share your data, feel free to attach your CSV to this post and I'll take a look on my end too. 

Hope that helps!

Peter

0 Kudos
CarlNettleton
New Contributor II

Thanks Peter, and apologies for taking so long to reply to this post. I know how to show an image with a URL in a popup, but we have a Survey123 form that allows people to attach an image (not a URL). I was trying to figure out how that image could be directly expressed from the resulting attribute table without saving it to an online location where it would have a URL (i.e. DropBox or equivalent). Thanks again!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Carl,

No worries at all, this blog shows how to use an Arcade expression to show the image attachment in the pop-up: https://community.esri.com/community/gis/web-gis/arcgisonline/blog/2019/03/22/show-attachments-in-po.... This functionality is available out of the box in Map Viewer Beta as well. 

Thanks!

-Peter

0 Kudos