Live Sync between an Excel file and a map

11-10-2018 01:02 PM
NWEdisonTeam
New Contributor II

Hello

I am trying to see if there is a process to do a two way live sync between an excel/.csv file stored on a computer or server, and an Arcgis Online map? Is this possible even? Thanks!

0 Kudos
16 Replies
shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

Tirrell,

I assume you are storing point location in the excel and you are updating the data and want the updates to be reflected online as well?

ArcMap creates an event layer which is an in-memory layer and any updates made to the source excel/csv file is visible in almost instantaneously.

Having said that, if you are publishing the data to arcgis server with the folder which contains the excel registered with arcgis server your updates should be reflected on the service.

In case you are working with AGOL it will not work as the data is copied over to AGOL and you will have to overwrite the same service to view the updates.

You may refer:

Make XY Event Layer—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

I hope this helps!

~Shan

~Shan
0 Kudos
NWEdisonTeam
New Contributor II

Hey,

Thanks for replying, and yes it does help. The issue here is that we don't have (and won't be getting) Arcgis server..not at least for a while. Could a SQL server be used to do the same thing?

0 Kudos
RossHavery
New Contributor II

Hi Shan,

I have attempted the above and have managed to get a CSV to display as you say above but this cannot be queried which I think is an issue with the object ID field not being read on CSVs. 

I have since tried the same with an excel file from the same folder but every time I try to upload this to the server I get this error (ERROR 001487: Failed to update the published service with the server-side data location.) I am pulling the data from the same folder as the CSV so know it works but I think the server has an issue opening/reading excel sheets.

Have you managed to achieve the above with an excel sheet and if so did you need to set anything specific on the server or on the excel file? 

Thanks

Ross

0 Kudos
shan_sarkar

Hello Ross,

Are you using just the ArcGIS Sever separately of have you configure ArcGIS Enterprise as a whole? If you have Enterprise setup for you, you can use the Excel and publish the service to your Portal for ArcGIS and it should dynamically update service as the spreadsheet is updated.

Please refer: -

1. Publish an Excel file
  2. About collaboration workspace access modes
  3. How do I create a feature service?

~Shan
0 Kudos
KarstenRank

Hi,

if you store your csv data on a webserver, you can take the csv file as source for web map. If you reload the map, the csv would take the new data.

Karsten

0 Kudos
NWEdisonTeam
New Contributor II

Hey,

Thanks for responding! Could you name a web server or two?

0 Kudos
KarstenRank

Hi,

I use our own webserver in our organisation. But you can take any webserver from any web hoster.

Karsten

0 Kudos
NWEdisonTeam
New Contributor II

Hey,

Could I do this datapush through Azure?

0 Kudos
KarstenRank

If you can get the csv-file with http:// then yes

0 Kudos