Layers not Drawing Completely

10-04-2017 12:11 PM
TiffanyRufo
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

I am still experiencing the small, persistent orange circle of annoyance. Nearly every map I pull up (all hosted on AGOL) features this little orange monstrosity in the lower corner no matter how many features are in the feature layer (20 vs 6,000).

I've noticed this since the last update and wondered if anyone had any ideas or if anyone else was experiencing the same thing.

The really irrigating thing is that even though it says it can't draw all oft he features, it does.....Until you start panning and zooming. Then the map gets really slow and unresponsive and it just stops drawing features all together. All of this is very intermittent...except for the orange circle.

Any insight is appreciated! I had asked on another thread but hadn't received any substantial answers.

21 Replies
MicahBabinski
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Tiffany,

Can you share the URL to the misbehaving service? Does it act any differently in a different browser? I might try clearing your browsing history. I've gotten some funky behavior in AGOL that was fixed by doing that.

Finally, can you hit Control + Shift + I to bring up the developer console, go to the Console tab, and see if there are any browser errors? That might give some more troubleshooting info.

Micah

TiffanyRufo

Well, It's at least 100 different feature layers...so that would be difficult to share. But switching to Edge seems to have worked for now.

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
XiaolongFeng1
New Contributor III

Hi Tiffany,

As you've already said, your map has at least 100 different feature layers - that's a lot of data.

ArcGIS Online count the total number of features that is going to be drawn on the map (browser) with its current extent. If the total number is over a certain amount, then the orange warning message will show up.

Due to the limitation of the browser, if there're too many features drawn on the map, it will slow down other operations like panning and zooming as you've already noticed. That is the user experience we're trying to avoid.

So it doesn't depends on what layer is not drawn, it depends one how many features you already on the map.

So the next thing is to consider about mapping efficiency again. When you zoomed out, is displaying that many features (or that many layers) at the same time really necessary? 

You may want to set visible scale range for each layer?

Set visible range—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Or set a filter to show less features on the map?

Apply filters—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Or if your main data is point, mind try our new style of point layer?

Configure clustering—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Thanks,

Xiaolong

TiffanyRufo

Xiaolong,

Thank you for the reminder, it's always good to have a refresher.

However, I should have been more clear, I have around 100 feature layers hosted on AGOL, they are not on the same map together though. At most there are 4 to 5 layers on any given map. The largest individual feature layer I have has over 6,000 features and the smallest has about 20.

The issue that I was having was that no matter what map (combination of layers large and small) I pulled up it was still showing the 'failed to draw' warning even if it was just the 20 item feature layer on a base map by itself. 

I have since switched from using Internet Explorer to Edge and it hasn't happened again so far. 

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hey Tiffany,

Try monitoring the requests from your web map to your services. Here is a blog about the layer drawing error:https://community.esri.com/community/gis/web-gis/arcgisonline/blog/2017/10/17/so-you-want-to-display...‌.

If it seems like a browser issue, check the service to see if there are any issues with its response or mixed content.

-Kelly

MarkCooper5

Kelly Gerrow‌  - I know this is old but can you tell me how to monitor requests from web maps to services?

Thanks

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

No worries Mark, check out these blogs about monitoring requests:

https://community.esri.com/groups/cats/blog/2017/05/04/monitoring-web-service-requests-from-web-apps...

https://community.esri.com/groups/technical-support/blog/2018/06/07/monitoring-web-service-requests-...

As these blogs were written a while ago, you'll notice that some requests may have a format of pbf instead of json in the request, you can easily swap these values to see JSON which is human readable.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
MaryEllen_Perko

Hello,

Was anyone able to figure this out?  We've noticed the same thing recently, and it's beginning to be a problem enterprise-wide.  For example, we've got a feature layer that contains only 142 points in one feature class and we're getting the "orange circle of annoyance."  It would be helpful to understand what is causing this so we can make adjustments where needed.  Further, this occurs in both IE 11 and Chrome.  Though we have one service where it only shows up in IE.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
TiffanyRufo

The issue went away for us initially when we switched from IE to Edge....but alas, now it happens periodically. It is less frequent for us here in Edge than Explorer but it still persists.

Haven't found a definitive answer yet.

0 Kudos