Layer's Data Source Not Supported (Feature Service) FGDB

Jump to solution
04-15-2019 09:38 AM
MKF62
by
Occasional Contributor III

Based on this documentation it keeps saying "enterprise geodatabase" - can you not publish feature services with file geodatabases? When I attempt to do so I get the error message in the title of this post (without the FGDB). I have turned on Feature Access for the layer and am trying to publish the layer via an admin connection to server. The layer's data source resides in a registered folder.

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.3/map/publish-map-services/00134-layers-data-source-is-not-su...

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LisaT
by

I have found that a Map Image Layer can be published as a dynamic service, but NOT a Feature Layer.  So, following this workflow will essentially get you a dynamic service with 1-way updates.  You can continue to update the fgdb and see the changes in your MIL, but you cannot edit a MIL.  The only way to publish a feature layer that is editable dynamically is for the datasource to be in SDE.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
NickWeil
New Contributor III

I just ran into this problem myself and came across your post. I know it was some time ago, but were you able to find any resolution?

0 Kudos
MKF62
by

I don't believe I ever solved it, sorry.

LisaT
by

Did either of you figure this out?  I am having the same issue.  When clicking on the error message, the website (linked by original poster) states that file geodatabases are not supported (first paragraph under Solutions).   This is highly confusing to me because I have been directed by an ESRI Rep to register my file geodatabase so that I can create a dynamic service.  I feel that I am reading it wrong or doing something else wrong...but maybe not.  Are your systems federated?

0 Kudos
AL_77
by
New Contributor III

You can publish a map image layer and it will be "dynamic" as long as the service resides in a registered folder. So, if edits are made to the feature layer in the FGDB the published map image layer will refect the edits. 

0 Kudos
LisaT
by

I have found that a Map Image Layer can be published as a dynamic service, but NOT a Feature Layer.  So, following this workflow will essentially get you a dynamic service with 1-way updates.  You can continue to update the fgdb and see the changes in your MIL, but you cannot edit a MIL.  The only way to publish a feature layer that is editable dynamically is for the datasource to be in SDE.

AnnieWong
New Contributor

I am trying to add a Feature Layer (Hosted) and publish it as a map service but I keep getting this message that the layers data source is not supported. What do I do? Do I have to download completely new data? 

0 Kudos