Select to view content in your preferred language

Issues signing in to Portal

05-08-2014 07:25 AM
MelissaLanclos
Deactivated User
Hey everyone -
We are trying to get Portal for ArcGIS set up. Portal is installed (we can open it and see it), we've been able to add a connection to it through the ArcGIS Administrator...but when we go into Desktop we can't sign in. The only "sign in" option we have is for AGOL. Its almost like Desktop isn't recognizing that Portal is even there (we are on 10.2.1). Has anyone else had a similar problem? Any input would be appreciated!
Thank you!!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Melissa,

... but when we go into Desktop we can't sign in. The only "sign in" option we have is for AGOL. Its almost like Desktop isn't recognizing that Portal is even there (we are on 10.2.1)

You need to configure Desktop to sign into your Portal for ArcGIS instance. Steps on how to configure are shown here,

Managing portal connections from ArcGIS for Desktop

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
MelissaLanclos
Deactivated User
Hi Melissa,

You need to configure Desktop to sign into your Portal for ArcGIS instance. Steps on how to configure are shown here,

Hope this helps,

Hello Derek!
Thank you for your response!  We have gone through those configuration steps and are still having the issue.  So we must be missing something else.
Thank you!
0 Kudos
MelissaLanclos
Deactivated User
Hi Melissa,

Hope this helps,

Hello Derek!
Thank you for your response!  We have gone through those configuration steps and are still having the issue.  So we must be missing something else.
Thank you!
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Hi Melissa,

In the help topic I referenced, after step 7 - did you perform step 8 correctly?

After you add the URL of the portal and click OK to save, in the Manage ArcGIS Portal Connections dialog box, did you click the Connect button?

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
MelissaLanclos
Deactivated User
Hi Melissa,

In the help topic I referenced, after step 7 - did you perform step 8 correctly?

After you add the URL of the portal and click OK to save, in the Manage ArcGIS Portal Connections dialog box, did you click the Connect button?

Hope this helps,

Good morning Derek -

Thank you again for offering help!  I appreciate it.  Yes...we did perform step #8.  We followed the instructions you linked out to step-by-step.  We're not really sure why after setting up the connectivity Desktop can't see the connection.  Do you know of any small things that cause issues?  Perhaps if Portal is on a server and Desktop is installed locally?  Or something like that?

Thank you again!
-Melissa
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Hi Melissa,

If you've configured the ArcGIS Administrator dialog to connect to your internal Portal for ArcGIS instance, ArcGIS Desktop should be able to connect to the Portal. There is nothing that I am aware of that would cause an issue.

Please contact Esri Tech Support and open an incident so they can investigate further. Sorry.
0 Kudos
ChrisMartin7
Deactivated User

Melissa,

hopefully you figured this out by now but....Did you upgrade from a previous version? I had the same problem that I believe was caused by remnants of a 10.1 install being left behind and not all of the c:\program files install files being removed correctly or just left behind after removing ArcGIS Desktop from Add\Remove Programs.

Might be worth checking out these as well:

ERROR - ArcGIS is currently not connected to online resources

-Chris

0 Kudos