danielri

ERROR - ArcGIS is currently not connected to online resources

Discussion created by danielri on Jul 9, 2012
Latest reply on Jul 27, 2015 by danielri
I had ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 PRERELEASE which worked fine in Windows Server 2003 (citrix 4.5) and could connect to online resources such as Bing! and other basemaps (found under the Add Data button in ArcMap). I uninstalled prerelease and loaded ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 FINAL. Now I have a "globe" in the task bar of Windows, which was never there in 10.1 beta or prerelease, and in ArcMap the Add Basemap and Add Data from ArcGIS Online are grayed out when I click the Add Data button. When I click on the globe it says "ArcGIS is currently not connected to online resources" and has some test connection dialog.

Interestingly, if I open a layer file that has Bing! included I can connect to the external web service with no problem. ESRI, as a side note you are not supposed to add new functionality between PRERELEASE and FINAL since you can not test it.

What changed between PRERELEASE and final that caused this problem? Anyone else seeing this issue? Will my end users be forced to see this 'globe' thing in their taskbar when we install ArcGIS 10.1 software on their computers?

____

Additional Info:

The Globe icon can can be used to launch an ArcGIS Connection Test dialog. This will test your Proxy Server, Dowload Speed, Network Latency, and Network Routing. In my case the Network test are returning "undetermined" vs. Passed, Failed, or Good.

Outcomes