How to synchronize raster datasets to a registered Oracle db in an ArcGIS Server

12-28-2021 07:16 AM
SalvatoreValente
New Contributor III

Hello everyone!

I am trying to synchronize some raster datasets to a registered Oracle db in our ArcGIS Server federated with an ArcGIS Portal. The registered Oracle db appears as a Datastore in My content and we usually synchronize feature layers using the "Sync Layers" button in the Layers tab of the db.
This process, though, doesn't work for the raster datasets that I imported using ArcGIS Pro. Is it possible to automatically create the related services for raster dataset?   Do we miss some extensions/add-ons/applications that allow this?

Thanks in advance!

Salvatore

0 Kudos
8 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

You would need to publish the rasters as image services; https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/portal/latest/use/create-imagery-layer.htm

The bulk publishing workflow is for vector / tabular data: https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/portal/latest/use/bulk-publish-arcgis-server-feature-layers.htm

Let us know if you need more info or have issues. Thanks!

--- George T.
0 Kudos
SalvatoreValente
New Contributor III

Thanks for the quick reply @George_Thompson !

What if in My Content, under the Create button I can only see Feature Layer and Tile Layer options? According to the guide, there should be an Imagery Layer option, but I can't find it. Do we miss something?

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
0 Kudos
SalvatoreValente
New Contributor III

Thank you @George_Thompson

Unfortunately, I am supposed to deal with the content of the Geoportal, not with its installation. Some of my colleagues did it. Anyway, If I go under Organization, Settings, Server roles I can see that our server only works as Hosting Server.  No Raster Analysis server nor Image hosting server are selected. If I try to switch one of these on the same server that is selected for Hosting Server (which is the only one that I can see in the drop-down menu), it says that it is unable to set the server as Raster Analysis Server/Image hosting server and that the ArcGIS Server is not licensed as an Image Server.

Does this mean that we lack some licenses or we just lack of some pieces of the software?

Thank you for your patience!

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

That would lead me to believe that you do not have an ArcGIS Server with the Image Server role (license) applied to the ArcGIS Enterprise.

I would recommend that you try sharing the images as services (individually) to Portal via ArcGIS Pro; https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/web-image-layer.htm

I am not sure that you can share imagery via the bulk publishing workflow. Depending on the use case, we also recommend not storing rasters within the Enterprise Geodatabase and using Mosaic Datasets. You can store the imagery on a network drive and use the Mosaic Dataset to point to it. If the data is in a Mosaic Dataset and you have Image Server configured, then you can publish it directly to ArcGIS Enterprise.

Here is some more information related to Imagery and ArcGIS Pro: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/imagery/overview-of-image-management.htm

Hope this helps!

--- George T.
0 Kudos
SalvatoreValente
New Contributor III

Thanks again @George_Thompson !

We used to publish rasters as you recommended: using share as web layer individually from ArcGIS Pro directly to the Portal. The problem was that this process doesn't allow to publish rasters as registered data, but create a new copy on the server, therefore causing waste of space and confusion in the Content page. We were trying to fit all data (features, tables and rasters) in the Oracle db because we thought we could create a web layer from a raster published in a registered enterprise geodatabase. So, is it correct to assume that we can't publish rasters that reference registered data without an Image Server?

Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

I believe that you are correct. If you want to publish as rasters as referenced data (raster store) I believe that you need the Image Server role.

I would work with your Esri account manager on obtaining a license.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
SalvatoreValente
New Contributor III

Thanks for your support @George_Thompson 

0 Kudos