How to prevent Layer Name from appearing beside polyline symbol during edit.

04-21-2022 10:06 AM
so_pec
by
New Contributor

I have a polyline layer template that I want to reused for various field maps because it has fields already set up.  When I rename the template layer to something meaningful to my client, the original layer name persists adjacent to the line symbol when the edit button is selected.  For example, I have a polyline layer named Polyline_Template.  I duplicate that and rename it to Water_Line. If I pick edit, for the Water_Line layer the symbol is _______ Polyline_Template.  I would rather have no text beside the symbol anyway.  I am an AGOL newbie, so please explain if this is wrong approach entirely. Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
3raan
by
New Contributor III

I would like to know a little bit more about the problem you are having. It could be as simple as the following. When you are in the details page for your "polyline layer template," select a layer under the "Layers" subtitle. From there, edit the layer name to what you want.

Alternatively, depending on how you duplicate layers, all of the duplicates may be using a singular definition file or shapefile. For example, I upload shapefiles and publish them as a feature layer. Frequently, I update the shapefile and publish again, overwriting the existing feature layer. I can also publish the shapefile as different feature layer with a new name. Now I have 2 feature layers with different names. However, they both are sourced from the single shapefile.

0 Kudos
so_pec
by
New Contributor

Thank you 3raan for your reply.  I went to the details page for each published layer clicked the view button near the URL to see the ID:## and surprise the ID's are the same and only the name changed so I think you are on to something.  This is an issue for us in 2 places: in Field Maps per below and on ArcGIS Online whenever you pick the edit button in the right pane.

So for example, please go to timestamp 1:02:06 on this Esri video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2OiW_4cRf8

and look at the very bottom to see a feature class, symbol, and label at the bottom of the screen:

COMMERCIAL SERVICE

/ CommercialService

For our work, if I edit the name in AGOL from COMMERCIAL SERVICE to BUSINESS SERVICE (per client  requirements), the screen looks like this:

BUSINESS SERVICE

/ CommercialService

If no text ever existed beside the symbol, it seems I would be done once the layer is renamed, so in seconds, not even minutes.  

We publish a separate Feature Layer for each client, so there is not a single map where all the field data ends up.  The only solution found so far is to create a layer in ArcGIS Pro with the desired name and publish again.  Is there an easier way?  Thanks again for your help!

0 Kudos
3raan
by
New Contributor III

I am not sure if you intended for the timestamp to be the last frame of the video.

Nonetheless, I did a quick screen record. Maybe this will help? 

Essentially, where I changed the name from "SplicePoints" to "SpliceTest" is where I am thinking is still called "COMMERCIAL SERVICE" per your example.

0 Kudos
so_pec
by
New Contributor

Well duh, sorry that timestamp was at 18:40.  I am doing exactly as shown in your screen grab, except with a polyline.  When I add the newly renamed polyline layer to a map and then pick the edit button to draw new a line, the old name shows up right under the new name next to the polyline symbol.  It seems the original published name gets stuck there. So your renaming illustration is just slapping a thin layer of paint over the underlying name which still rears its ugly head to bite.  Would you please try a polyline and let me know that you can see the problem?

0 Kudos
3raan
by
New Contributor III

What is your layer "created from?" This is found in your Polyline feature detail.

0 Kudos