How to display full metadata in ArcGIS Online open data

06-18-2019 12:25 PM
DataAdministrator
New Contributor III

Our organization, for the most part, tries to offer at least basic metadata for our open data offerings. However, for feature services where we provide fairly robust metadata, viewers are only given a subset of the metadata we took the time to enter.

I have gone through the metadata setting on our organization's setting page and none of the options appears allow the display of the full metadata. Is there a setting I am missing?

-Michael

4 Replies
TylerBurns
New Contributor III

Hello,

According to the documentation on managing Metadata for items in AGOL, any metadata set for items using the metadata editor in AGOL should be available from the dataset pages for the items on the Hub site. Please see the following excerpt: 

"For organizations that have enabled metadata, a Metadata button appears on their item pages for item owners and administrators. Item owners use the button to access the built-in editor and include additional standards-based metadata. When an item includes this additional metadata, anyone with access to the item also sees a Metadata button and can use it to view the metadata in the style configured by the organization.

Providing standards-based metadata with your item helps people learn about the item and decide if they want to use it. For example, if your organization has enabled Open Data, metadata documents managed from ArcGIS Online are available in ArcGIS Hub sites from dataset pages and the documents are included in shapefile downloads. The availability of standards-based metadata for these datasets helps the general public determine which dataset best meets their needs."

Metadata in AGOL:

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/manage-data/metadata.htm

Are these metadata options not appearing as expected for you, or is a different type of metadata being referenced in this issue? I believe the only metadata that can be displayed on a Hub site for shared items is the metadata that is configured via the AGOL metadata editor.

Regards,

TB

DataAdministrator
New Contributor III

We have two feature services that have a separate data originator and metadata author contacts and only one contact displays in the metadata returned by ArcGIS Online. That said, I was able to track down one other feature service we have that also has a separate originator and author and both are returned in the metadata. There are no special characters or formatting in the one as opposed to the other so do not know what could be causing it. So it does appear the metadata function is working as intended, but buggy, so I will leave it as is and move on.

0 Kudos
Koeller_Christine_A_-_DOT
New Contributor III

I just posted a similar question and our organization is also having difficult getting metadata we've entered into our enterprise database to appear in AGOL: Metadata link in Item Details for Feature Layer

I can get a link to an XML version of the metadata but its not formatted nicely and would be difficult to read. For the interim, we are thinking about linking to the XML metadata link that publishes with our web service but it is not ideal. Alternatively, we could take the time to duplicate the metadata using the metadata button (https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/manage-data/metadata.htm) but that is problematic because it will not be in sync with our enterprise metadata. 

What did you end up implementing at your organization?

0 Kudos
DataAdministrator
New Contributor III

Our agency ended up splitting in how to resolve the display issue with ArcGIS Online, but both of us moved away from an ESRI solution. Now we only use ArcGIS Online for a subset of our data.

One group wrote up a custom app that only displays a subset of metadata, but allows them better formatting. I set up an internal, third-party metadata catalog (Geonetwork opensource) that stores and displays all metadata fields. While superior for the display of metadata, its reason for being, Geonetwork opensource is not user friendly to configure. Needless to say, neither option syncs with actual services, so there is an extra step when updating any data set. That said, because both of our efforts are independent, our catalogs can link to any data source, regardless of provider, with a public URL that people can download the data from.

0 Kudos