Select to view content in your preferred language

Hosted transportation feature class with highway shield labeling no longer displaying shields?

Jump to solution
06-30-2023 09:52 AM
RayWeiser1
Occasional Contributor

Today I noticed when I added our hosted transportation feature class on AGOL to a web map, that all of our highway shield labels no longer show up.  They had been labeling fine before.  Originally web layers were published from ArcPro 2.9.x, and I have been periodically overwriting/updating the feature server as local data changes for a year or more since.  Now I am using ArcPro 3.1.2.  Shields display normally in Pro and running Analyze prior to publishing does not raise any warnings or errors.  Anyone else noticing anything different with shields?  

0 Kudos
11 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks! It looks like its behaving as expected from the standpoint on what we support at the API level for labels. Labels right now in Map Viewer only support text which would not support the shields being displayed. The shields would work for point features. I checked out publishing from 2.9 and 3.x build just to make sure if anything was getting applied but from the project the results were the same. The shields could also work for a tile layer or vector tile case.

0 Kudos
RayWeiser1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Russ,

For whatever reason (age, loss of brain cells, etc.) I had imagined it working in the past, so I appreciate that you were able to confirm the behavior.   Perhaps in future line based marker labels will be supported.  hint hint 😊.

We do have a vector tile cache which works well and per your comment, I may go ahead and add a point layer with shield markers to supplement the text labeling.  That scenario won't be quite as robust given the discreet shield placement at point locations versus dynamic labeling along a line, but will certainly be a nice improvement over the current display.  

Thanks again for your time and support!