Highlighting multiple features from different layers when single feature is selected in Web Map/Web App

Jump to solution
03-28-2019 08:56 AM
Katherine_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello,

I am wondering if there is a way in ArcGIS Online to highlight multiple features from different layers when a single feature is selected? For example, I have several points within different HUCS. When the point is selected, I would like the HUC that it is in to be highlighted as well.

I'm sure this is possible using Javascript, but I have almost no experience with that so I was hoping there is a way to configure this in the GUI.   If this isn't possible and custom code is needed, any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CodyKiefer
Esri Contributor

Hello,

The first thing that you will need to do here is establish a relationship between your features based on a common attribute. You can learn more about that at the following link: 

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/tables/joins-and-relates.htm

Within ArcGIS Pro, it is possible to automatically select (highlight) related features: 

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/tables/automatically-select-related-records.htm

Unfortunately, this same property is not available in ArcGIS Online. 

In order to achieve the same (or similar) in ArcGIS Online, you will need to do the following:

• Publish your web map
  • Create a Web App that includes the Select Widget:
  • In the widget configuration window, choose the selection method (Select by Point, Select by Rectangle, etc) and choose the layers that you would like to be available to select
  • In your Web App, click the Select Widget, click the Select button, and select one of your points. 
  • If your point is within a HUC, and the HUC layer is available to be selected too, then both will be selected (highlighted). 
  • You can also click the small 3 dots (show actions on selected features) next to the selected feature in the widget, and click Show Related Records
    • This will bring up the attribute table of the related HUC

You can learn more about showing related records in web maps and web apps here: 

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
CodyKiefer
Esri Contributor

Hello,

The first thing that you will need to do here is establish a relationship between your features based on a common attribute. You can learn more about that at the following link: 

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/tables/joins-and-relates.htm

Within ArcGIS Pro, it is possible to automatically select (highlight) related features: 

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/tables/automatically-select-related-records.htm

Unfortunately, this same property is not available in ArcGIS Online. 

In order to achieve the same (or similar) in ArcGIS Online, you will need to do the following:

• Publish your web map
  • Create a Web App that includes the Select Widget:
  • In the widget configuration window, choose the selection method (Select by Point, Select by Rectangle, etc) and choose the layers that you would like to be available to select
  • In your Web App, click the Select Widget, click the Select button, and select one of your points. 
  • If your point is within a HUC, and the HUC layer is available to be selected too, then both will be selected (highlighted). 
  • You can also click the small 3 dots (show actions on selected features) next to the selected feature in the widget, and click Show Related Records
    • This will bring up the attribute table of the related HUC

You can learn more about showing related records in web maps and web apps here: 

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Katherine_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks so much for your response, Cody! I'll give this a shot.

0 Kudos
luisgalimberti
New Contributor II

I was wondering if that solution worked for you.

0 Kudos
Katherine_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

My project manager actually decided to go in a different direction with this project so I never got a chance to work on it.    Sorry!

0 Kudos