Export Feature Service with Attachments

Jump to solution
06-26-2012 02:40 AM
ODAMapping2012
New Contributor
Hi,

I've got a feature service with attachments enabled (it's a point layer with photos on that can be edited in the field and photos recorded using an ipad) that I'm trying to export out of arcgis online.
Every way that I try to export it doesn't include the attachments, is it possible?

Many thanks,

Andy
Tags (2)
54 Replies
Sohini_Garg
New Contributor II

Hi Mike - just saw your updated answer about exporting the layer and attachments into a zipfile. Is there a way to use python to achieve the same in an automated manner instead of manually having to go through the steps on AGO? This will be especially useful for downloading copies of multiple such layers (with attachments) on a regular basis.

Thanks!
S

MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

S Garg

First, I don't write much code, so this is my best guess...

The ability to export is part of the REST API. I believe that you can make REST calls through Python. Thus, it seems possible to automate this process. Keep in mind that the API will create an item in ArcGIS Online that is a ZIP file of the file geodatabase.

I believe this is the correct API reference.

ArcGIS REST API

Mike

Sohini_Garg
New Contributor II

Thank you Mike!

0 Kudos
RandyWeaver
New Contributor III
Sohini_Garg
New Contributor II

Thank you Randy! I'll try the python script.

0 Kudos
DonPritt
Occasional Contributor II
Looks like ESRI's inching towards this ability, which is good, this is a huge importance for my organization and the future of us staying with our organizational account.
0 Kudos
AlisonKuemmel
New Contributor
Thank you for your reply, Mike!

This sounds promising, but for my rest service I only have the option of Query, Update Features, Apply Edits, or Generate Renderer.

(Create Replica is not a choice)

Is there something different I should do when I first set up the parcel service? Our organization's administrator actually posted the data, but I could take that part over if it gives different access rights.

I've attached a screenshot of the rest service page that I come to for my parcel layer.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Alison,

I think you are one level too low. When you navigate to the rest endpoint of the service, remove the index number from the end of the URL, for example, remove the /0 or /1.

Mike
AlisonKuemmel
New Contributor
Got it! Thank you! I now have my replicated data loaded into Desktop. I'm not too familiar with relationship classes, but I'm hoping you can help me with the final intake/viewing of the attachments on my local machine.

I have both my original parcel layer and the parcels_ATTACH open in ArcMap.

It allows me to join the parcels to the attachment table based on a pre-defined relationship class
(I tried to do the join (the table to the parcel layer) and based it on a pre-defined relationship class.
I receive an error that the join data cannot be based on a 1-many relationship class.)

There are fields referencing the data, but I don't actually know what to do with them to view the attachments. How do I open them to view the photos?

My final use for this project is to take the information created in the field to send to other departments for following up on the field collection. I will transfer the polygon info into a point file, then create a Map Tour so that directors can easily see everything in one dashboard-type interface.

Thanks for your quick responses, I hope this explains my goal.  Do you have advice on the next step? Is it feasible that once I join it to a point file it will open in a Map Tour using these points and associated images?

Thanks,
Alison
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Alison,

Sorry, I don't know the ArcMap side of things... maybe others on this forum might. Or, you might try posting this specific question in the ArcGIS for Desktop forum.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos