Export Feature Service with Attachments

Jump to solution
06-26-2012 02:40 AM
ODAMapping2012
New Contributor
Hi,

I've got a feature service with attachments enabled (it's a point layer with photos on that can be edited in the field and photos recorded using an ipad) that I'm trying to export out of arcgis online.
Every way that I try to export it doesn't include the attachments, is it possible?

Many thanks,

Andy
Tags (2)
54 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Allison,

If you extract the data as Mike instructed and add it to ArcMap, you can get the attachments by Identifying the Feature. In the Identify Results window you will see the number of attachments returned. You can click on the arrow to choose which attachment to open. The relationship class takes care of the relate from the Features to the attachments in the attachment table.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29948[/ATTACH]

Hope that helps,
Andrew
0 Kudos
AdamGlover
New Contributor II
Hi,
Is it possible that, with  ArcGIS Desktop 10.2  edition , can be save all attachments(photos) from ArcGIS online feature service?

You do not need a specific version of Arc to export this data.

Have you tried to download this data using the CreateReplica command?

Say the rest end point for my feature service (Hosted in ArcGIS online) is as follows...

http://services1.arcgis.com/*************/arcgis/rest/services/*****/FeatureServer

If I add the create replica command to this as displayed below...

http://services1.arcgis.com/*************/arcgis/rest/services/*****/FeatureServer/createreplica

Separate the layers that you want with a comma "0,1,2..."

Set geometry type

Be sure to set "Return Attachments" to True

Sync Model to "None"

Data format to "FileGDB"

Once you click to create replica then you will a url generated from which you can download a file geodatabase with your feature class, relationship class, and attachments table.

Hope that helps.

Adam
0 Kudos
JohnTownsend
New Contributor III
Is there a way to export the attachments out of the database and into a file folder.  For instance, I would like to be able to take all of the attachments and produce .jpg images in a folder external to the database. Currently, I would have to open each attachement individually and perform a Save As.  This won't fly when I have to do that 1000 times.  Having the ability to export all attachements would be ideal.  Having the ability to export these attachements and assign a file name based on table attributes would be even better.
0 Kudos
MichaelOlkin
New Contributor III
There is a script will extract attachments to files: http://support.esri.com/em/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/41763
Is there a way to export the attachments out of the database and into a file folder.  For instance, I would like to be able to take all of the attachments and produce .jpg images in a folder external to the database. Currently, I would have to open each attachement individually and perform a Save As.  This won't fly when I have to do that 1000 times.  Having the ability to export all attachements would be ideal.  Having the ability to export these attachements and assign a file name based on table attributes would be even better.
0 Kudos
JohnTownsend
New Contributor III
There is a script will extract attachments to files: http://support.esri.com/em/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/41763

Thanks.  That is exactly what I needed.
0 Kudos
Center_City_DistrictPhiladelph
New Contributor III
I have just collected 1500 points each with attachments(pictures) and it seems that when create a local copy for editing to use the script to extract the attachments I can only get 1000 features to copy over, is this a arcgis online file limit? a setting's feature limit?

How can I get all my features downloaded, and have each features attachments saved locally.

I have been successful before I went out and collected all 1500 with a few hundred and everything worked fine, now it seems that since I have over 1000 features and it's hosted on arcgis online there I can not create a local copy with every feature!

Please some help would be helpful.
-Rich
0 Kudos
BrianShepard
Occasional Contributor
I have just collected 1500 points each with attachments(pictures) and it seems that when create a local copy for editing to use the script to extract the attachments I can only get 1000 features to copy over, is this a arcgis online file limit? a setting's feature limit?

How can I get all my features downloaded, and have each features attachments saved locally.

I have been successful before I went out and collected all 1500 with a few hundred and everything worked fine, now it seems that since I have over 1000 features and it's hosted on arcgis online there I can not create a local copy with every feature!

Please some help would be helpful.
-Rich

I'm having the same issue.  I have an AGOL hosted feature service with ~1,700 records, but only 1,000 show up if I open the service in Desktop 10.1. 

We collect data during monitoring/treatment season, and I want to export this data to a feature class for permanent storage on our server.  Smaller datasets work really well by opening the service in Desktop and exporting to a feature class, however I can only export 1,000 records in this manner.  I successfully exported to a shapefile in AGOL, but my field names are truncated.

Is there some sort of 1,000 feature limitation, or a 10.1 limitation?  Is this resolved in 10.2.2?  Being able to export collected data to a permanent system of record with attachments should be a core functionality, not a feature that's under development.

-Brian
0 Kudos
New Contributor III

I found out that you can change the amount of records that the feature service displays and downloads when you make a local copy

The steps taken in order to access the Service Definition File were the following:

1. Sign into Organizational Account on arcgis.com.
  2. Click on My Content > Open the feature Service whose feature count you are looking to expand.
  3. Click on the url under the Layers heading in order to access the ArcGIS REST Services Directory.
  4. Delete the existing url up to the rest endpoint and then replace with /admin ex: http://services.arcgis.com/Wl7Y1m92PbjtJs5n/arcgis/rest/services/failure_1002/FeatureServer/0 would be turned to http://services.arcgis.com/Wl7Y1m92PbjtJs5n/arcgis/admin.
  5. Click on Services in order to access all feature services within your organization.
  6. Click on the feature Service whose feature count you are looking to expand.
  7. Scroll down to the bottom and click on Update Definition.
  8. Select Ctrl+f and search for maxrecordcount.
  9. Change all 1,000s to the number of features you are desiring.
  10. Select Update Service Definition.
  11. Go back to your My Content and open the feature class in a new web map or open in Desktop.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

For performance reasons, we don't recommend setting the value above 2000.

How to update the Max Record Count of a Feature Service in REST

If your goal is to just extract the data with attachments from an ArcGIS Online hosted feature layer, our recent update now supports exporting a file geodatabase of the layer with all attachments. This shouldn't require increasing the query limit on the service endpoint.

Use hosted features and tiles—Help | ArcGIS

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

Getting an error now when trying to edit the layer definition. Nothing was edited but the "maxRecordCount" and a constant error of"   Invalid definition for 'LastEditDate'. Even when I am NOT editing the "maxRecordCount" and press the "Update Layer Definition" button this error occurs on each of my feature services. I am hosting all the data on ArcGIS Online and not running a server.

0 Kudos