ESRI Customized Vector Basemap and Road Labels issue

Jump to solution
03-28-2022 03:41 PM
TimHayes2021
New Contributor III

I have created a custom vector basemap from the ESRI Light Gray Canvas. The original Light Gray Canvas shows the road labels on top of my vector layers in my webmap. However, the Light Gray Canvas I customized shows these labels under my vector layers in my webmap. The only line of JSON code I changed in the root.json was the font size for major roads. In the attached screenshot I circled an example of the road label under my vector layers. Given that I did not change any other line of code, seems that once I modified the Light Gray Canvas it seemed to place all the road labels under my vector layers. Any ideas on a solution? Is there a line of code I need to modify in the root.json?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ZaraMatheson
Esri Contributor

Hi Tim, Could you point me to the Esri Light Gray Canvas you edited? The version accessed from the basemap gallery in Map Viewer /  Map Viewer Classic splits out the labels into a separate reference layer that would draw above all layers in your map, but it is possible the version you edited did not split out the labels and that might explain the issue. 

ZaraMatheson_0-1648527113331.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ZaraMatheson
Esri Contributor

Hi Tim, Could you point me to the Esri Light Gray Canvas you edited? The version accessed from the basemap gallery in Map Viewer /  Map Viewer Classic splits out the labels into a separate reference layer that would draw above all layers in your map, but it is possible the version you edited did not split out the labels and that might explain the issue. 

ZaraMatheson_0-1648527113331.png

0 Kudos
TimHayes2021
New Contributor III

Yes, I was using the wrong version. Thanks!

0 Kudos