Select to view content in your preferred language

Error Reading Package Contents from ArcGIS online

10-04-2010 06:52 AM
ChristinaHupy
New Contributor
I have a student who can logon onto ArcGIS online using her global user account from ArcMap (v10). She tries to add data from ArcGIS online from ArcMap (v10), clicks on any of the available maps, it appears to load, and then she recieves an error stating "Error Reading Package Contents".  She has tried this on several machines on different days. All other students are able to open the ArcGIS online layers via ArcMap (v10) with no problems.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Christina Hupy
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
31 Replies
AmberAllardyce
New Contributor III
Was there ever a solution for this?  I am having the same issue on a new workstation running Windows 7 64 bit
0 Kudos
LouiseDuffy1
New Contributor
Was there ever a solution for this?  I am having the same issue on a new workstation running Windows 7 64 bit

I am wondering the same thing!! I have never used this option before, but I have a project where this this would be quite helpful.  Anyone figure this out?
0 Kudos
BrianPeters1
New Contributor
Same problem? any solutions?
0 Kudos
mikeatkinson
New Contributor II
Same problems here in Scotland.

Is anyone at ESRI monitoring this thread? It looks like it has been quietly dropped......?

We can read the .lyr files OK into bothe 9.3.1 and v10 - but the layer packages just return the Headline error.
0 Kudos
KrisMcKee
New Contributor
Hi,
Did this issue get resolved?
I am receiving the same error when attempting to add a base map in v10 (SP1).
0 Kudos
AmberAllardyce
New Contributor III
For those of you running Windows 7: if you have redirected your My Documents folder to a network drive you will not be able to use the basemaps or ArcGIS Online.  Windows 7 does not allow you to index a mapped drive and the map packages do use indexing.  The only way we have found to get around this is to have your My Documents folder pointing your local hard drive.
0 Kudos
RamonLeal_Pessoa
New Contributor II
I think that i don´t have redirected my Docment folder... I´m using Windows 7 Professional and received the same error.

Any "How to" for solve this problem???

For those of you running Windows 7: if you have redirected your My Documents folder to a network drive you will not be able to use the basemaps or ArcGIS Online.  Windows 7 does not allow you to index a mapped drive and the map packages do use indexing.  The only way we have found to get around this is to have your My Documents folder pointing your local hard drive.
0 Kudos
TerryWatson
New Contributor II
Same problem here...Win7 loads globe basemaps no problem...in Vista cannot open any packages, yet the program loads with the default basemap (Imagery) no problem. Getting the same error msg shown above.

--TW
0 Kudos
BrianKratcha
New Contributor III
I ran the install CD and ran a repair and I was able to get mine to work again.
0 Kudos
AimeeMandeville
New Contributor II
We are having the same problem here --- I think it has something to do with the layer packages wanting to "unpack" in the default home directory?  --
C:\Documents and Settings\aimee.EDC\My Documents\ArcGIS\Packages\

Is there a way to change the settings so that the unpacking from ArcGIS online can be directed to a different directory?  We are in a teaching lab and we do not have access to write to this area.

Aimee
0 Kudos