Edits of some feature layers on AGOL do not save

05-29-2019 04:34 PM
MickieHirata
New Contributor II

When I create a new hosted feature layer on ArcGis Online, it doesn't allow me to edit the attributes of the features in that layer. In the collector app, webmap, and webmap application, when I make a change to an attribute it reverts back to its original value. Even while typing in a new value in the attribute boxes, right after it changes the text back to its original value.This only happens to the new layers I add to a map. The older layers perform as expected. 

I create a new feature layer by using a shapefile I exported from ArcMap. I have tried both creating a completely new feature layer just from the shapefile, and making a feature layer from an existing feature layer (to keep domains and symbols) then appending the data from a shapefile. 

I have tried to compare the settings of the layers that work and the layers that don't. I can't seem to find any differences. Does it matter that I have an arcgis online account through the arcgis developer? Or is there something that I am doing wrong? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TylerBurns
New Contributor III

Hello Mickie!

Here's a couple things you will want to check when troubleshooting Edit issues in ArcGIS Online hosted feature services:

• Double check the item details page for your new feature service, under the 'settings' tab-- make sure that "enable editing" is allowed.
  • On this same settings page, Under "what kind of editing is allowed?", make sure that "Add, update, and delete features" is enabled.
  • Try placing your new feature service into a brand new webmap, instead of an existing webmap.
  • Try sharing the feature service to your whole organization, and attempt to edit it while logged into an Admin account for the Organization.

Typically issues like this are caused by something wrong with the existing Webmap, so it would be recommended to try placing your new feature layer into a new webmap first to see if the behavior changes.

Regards,

TB

0 Kudos
MickieHirata
New Contributor II

I tried adding the layer to a new webmap and the same things happen. I think this only happens when I make feature layer using by using an existing feature layer (to keep symbols and labels, domains), and updating that empty layer with new data. 

0 Kudos
TylerBurns
New Contributor III

I was not able to reproduce the behavior using a simple 'existing feature layer' template for creating a new feature layer.

This behavior potentially sounds like a bug with workflows that involve creating feature services from existing feature services that contain domains, and appending data to them before editing. It would be recommended to contact support services to create a case to investigate this behavior further.

Regards,

TB

0 Kudos
MickieHirata
New Contributor II

It took me a while to find, but I figured out why my new layers were not saving any edits.

From the blog article below,

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/data-management/data-management/whats-new-with-hosted-feat...

"One quick note at this time you can’t append data to a hosted feature layer that has synchronization or change tracking (Keep track of created and updated features) enabled"

So to append data to a feature layer made from an existing layer, I needed to change the settings to uncheck the sync and tracking options for the existing layer before using it for a newly created layer. Once the new layer was created and data was updated, then I could change the settings to have sync and tracking on. The new layer would behave as normal while keeping all the style options from the existing layer it was based on. I think its just pretty annoying having to change the settings just so I can use it for creating a new layer, then having to change it back. Also that I was still able to update data to the layer even with those settings on, resulting in having objects be un-editable.

Thanks for your help though!

-Mickie