Domains and drop-downs on Collector not functioning

Jump to solution
07-06-2021 10:29 AM
ZacharyUhlmann1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi.  I have created a feature class in ArcGIS Pro which I subsequently uploaded to ArcGIS online as a Hosted Feature Layer in preparation for a field collection campaign.  Not too tricky - in this particular point type feature layer I want the field personnel to add a point, add some text fields and THEN have a field with a drop-down with a coded value domain so as to constrain options and make it easy.  Easy enough - I created a Text field and assigned a coded value domain with four values to it (in Pro).

agolQ_domain1a.JPG

1) See my custom domain

agolQ_domain1.JPG

2) Now set the domain to the attribute

Then I upload feature class as Hosted Feature Layer on AGOL, add to editable webmap and finally open in Collector.  And alas, the functionality does NOT work.  In ArcPro with the same feature, the domain constrains me to the four codes I set for blind types when creating features in this FC.  But in Collector on my Iphone I can type whatever I want.

IMG_9460.PNG

I'm just trying to add a feature layer to a webmap utilized in Collector that allows field person to flesh out attributes with drop downs.  According to ESRI docs (https://doc.arcgis.com/en/collector/android-phone/help/design-layer.htm ; under subtitle Form design) I'm doing the right thing.

Any ideas? 

Zach

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ZacharyUhlmann1

I found another post in ESRI Forum land that had a glancing connection to this post which made me suspicious...YUP!  Domain functionality in terms of coded value domains do NOT work with shapefiles.  I had exported a shp from the functional FGDB  feature class and uploaded that onto AGOL and into my WebMap.  However, a shapefile apparently is not capable of using the Domain definition from the FGDB feature class, in this case blind_type_sanluis.  So the attribute in question (blind_type2) was simple a text field with no constraints.  SOLUTION: Upload FC within a gdb to AGOL.  Now when adding points to the FC in the webmap on my phone in Collector, I am given the four options ONLY for blind type.  And lots of acronyms along the way...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ZacharyUhlmann1

I found another post in ESRI Forum land that had a glancing connection to this post which made me suspicious...YUP!  Domain functionality in terms of coded value domains do NOT work with shapefiles.  I had exported a shp from the functional FGDB  feature class and uploaded that onto AGOL and into my WebMap.  However, a shapefile apparently is not capable of using the Domain definition from the FGDB feature class, in this case blind_type_sanluis.  So the attribute in question (blind_type2) was simple a text field with no constraints.  SOLUTION: Upload FC within a gdb to AGOL.  Now when adding points to the FC in the webmap on my phone in Collector, I am given the four options ONLY for blind type.  And lots of acronyms along the way...

0 Kudos