Displaying information in a pop-up from a related table

Jump to solution
03-11-2022 07:01 AM
DaveBodak
Occasional Contributor

This is primarily for a hydrant feature layer that has two related tables connected to the hydrants. One of the tables includes inspection details (last inspection, inspector, etc.) and the other contains hydrant repair details (rebuilt, replaced, etc.). Both tables are set up as Many:1, so there can be many inspections with the hydrant.

I am looking to display information from both of these tables in a pop-up so it is easier to access. Something else that would be nice is to display any pictures or attachments that are contained within the table. I am also doing this in the Dashboard app if that helps.

I have two ways of thinking about it:

1) Create a view containing all of the information, and reference the data this way, but this doesn't carry attachments over (as far as I know).

2)  Create a filtered list section in the dashboard application showing the data from these tables and the image, the filter would change when the selection on the map changes. Not sure how to go about this either.

I am open to any suggestions/assistance, thanks for your help!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I would avoid the first option. Creating views makes it harder to manage the parent layer in the future, if changes ever need to be made. Also, the data is all accessible via the parent layer, especially if you're working in a Dashboard.

The way you approach this may depend on the intended use of the dashboard. Will you ever want to look at more than just the most recent related records? If you just want to see the latest inspection and repair, adding that to the popup is simple, and you could get that into your dashboard with a Details widget.

If, on the other hand, you want to see the history of inspections and repairs, you're much better off using a separate widget for each and having a selection filter those widgets. That you could set up by adding the right Actions on your dashboard widgets. I'd suggest using the option to render only when filtered so that users are only presented with related data once a feature is selected.

There's also plenty you could do with Data Expressions for anything in between these two options. For instance, you could have a list of "related activity" that merged the inspections and the repairs and color-coded them by type.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

1 Reply
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I would avoid the first option. Creating views makes it harder to manage the parent layer in the future, if changes ever need to be made. Also, the data is all accessible via the parent layer, especially if you're working in a Dashboard.

The way you approach this may depend on the intended use of the dashboard. Will you ever want to look at more than just the most recent related records? If you just want to see the latest inspection and repair, adding that to the popup is simple, and you could get that into your dashboard with a Details widget.

If, on the other hand, you want to see the history of inspections and repairs, you're much better off using a separate widget for each and having a selection filter those widgets. That you could set up by adding the right Actions on your dashboard widgets. I'd suggest using the option to render only when filtered so that users are only presented with related data once a feature is selected.

There's also plenty you could do with Data Expressions for anything in between these two options. For instance, you could have a list of "related activity" that merged the inspections and the repairs and color-coded them by type.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS