Custom Symbology not showing up in Web App Builder

Jump to solution
06-14-2021 09:03 AM
GIS_utahDEM
Occasional Contributor II

I have a custom symbology layer that I am using in a web map (successfully) but when I try to use that web map in a web application (using the web app builder) the symbology doesn't show up how it's supposed to (pictures attached). Is this a known issue? Is there something special I need to do to the custom symbology?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

These are not supported in 3.x JSAPI apps like WAB. If you use this in a 4.x app like Experience Builder the symbols will show up as expected. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Are these symbols coming from a web style?

0 Kudos
GIS_utahDEM

@RussRoberts Yes, I published it from Pro. 

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

These are not supported in 3.x JSAPI apps like WAB. If you use this in a 4.x app like Experience Builder the symbols will show up as expected. 

GIS_utahDEM

Okay, thank you!

0 Kudos
Psoralea
New Contributor II

HI Rus - I am trying to solve a similar problem.  I am publishing from ArcPro with no errors or warnings, using what i consider pretty basic styles.  Any suggestions?

I want this:

Psoralea_1-1681881835267.png

But get this:

Psoralea_0-1681881783331.png

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Few questions:

Are you publishing a web layer or a web map?

You probably have the option to publish compatible symbols unchecked in Pro. Here are some links that can help out.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-online-questions/arcgis-web-app-not-honouring-web-map-symbology...

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/share-a-web-map.htm

Follow up - any specific reason you are using WAB vs. instant apps or experience builder? WAB currently has a retirement roadmap outlined here  

0 Kudos
Psoralea
New Contributor II

Hi Russ - Turns out this relates to a recent ArcGIS Pro update, All I needed to do was to tick the check box here:  Thanks for your assistance

Psoralea_0-1684190527605.png

FredMitchell
New Contributor III

@Psoralea thank you for posting this! We're in the process of migrating from web app builder to experience builder but I had to update an authoritative layer today and the symbology wouldn't show up even if I changed it after the fact in the map viewer. This little check box worked like a charm!

0 Kudos