Curves in Pro Don't Show in ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
06-27-2023 09:29 AM
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

I noticed when looking at our data for centerlines in ArcGIS Online that segments that are created using the circular arc drawing tool in ArcGIS Pro does not render as curves and simply draw straight lines between the vertexes. On some Googling I seem to find information that hosted feature layers do not support curves?

Is this still the case? I see posts from a literally a decade ago discussing it being in the enhancement list. Is it still a limitation or a setting I'm missing?

Thanks!

EDIT: In further investigation of the data I see that bezier curves render properly in ArcGIS Online, it is only circular arcs that do not. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

Just to post an update on this issue, I was in touch with Esri Support and while initially they said it was as expected, because true circular arcs do not, they are supposed to approximate the appearance by converting it to rings, it is a bug causing it to not do this now. The reply I got:

BUG-000160117 : Circular arcs in a feature layer with no z-values display as straight lines in ArcGIS Online.

It was introduced with the June 2023 update and the fix is planned for the October 2023 update (end of the month). Although ArcGIS Online does not technically support true curves, the expected behaviour is still that upon publishing, the true curves should be converted to rings with many vertices to appear as curves. The workaround for the bug is to export the data to a feature class with z-values enabled and then publish it to ArcGIS Online.

So hopefully this will be fixed shortly.

UPDATE OCT 31, 2023: As of the update on October 25th, it appears to be fixed. 

View solution in original post

10 Replies
TonyContreras_Frisco_TX
Occasional Contributor III

This article from 2020 says they are not supported, but the curve features should get converted to rings when publishing to AGO. If you can, it is recommended to publish your feature service to ArcGIS Server 10.3 or later since true curves are supported that way.

RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

Thank you for the info.

I notice it discusses polygons in that article, not polylines, and that is consistent with what I have seen, our polygon data seems fine, but the lines do not seem to convert to rings.

I guess I can look and see if there's a tool to convert the curves to rings in our data itself, unless there's a checkbox in publishing somewhere to us instead?

It's being published directly into ArcGIS Online as part of our OpenData portal so it's not being stored on ArcGIS Server.

LauraHenry
New Contributor

Having the same issue with our features. Not sure what has happened because before updating our features recently, curved lines appeared as cured lines in AGOL. Now they are straight lines. What's up?

KazemiDavood
New Contributor II

Any updates on this issue

i have recently came across this issue I didn’t have before publishing new service

RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

@KazemiDavood @LauraHenry I contacted Esri Support and they connected me with two cases: 

BUG-000157769: Appending specific data in ArcGIS Online with circular arcs in between vertices does not honor the circular arc and instead renders a straight segment in between vertices when using the Append Feature within ArcGIS Online This one was marked as "non-reproducible" yesterday and closed? Which I don't really understand, but I don't believe this is my specific issue anyways as we overwrite our layers.

ENH-000156468: Allow ArcGIS Online to support true curve features. This one still says "In Review" so hopefully it gets somewhere?

OderMarcusWCED
New Contributor II

Yikes - just noticed that something like 30K+ subdivision lot AutoCAD sourced true arcs work fine (even with reprojection) in ArcGIS Pro 3.1 and Enterprise REST Service pointing at SDE but are missing in AGOL Hosted Feature Service published from same data. Guess it's stroking time for AGOL Hosted destined data.

0 Kudos
BrantSollis2
New Contributor III

We are also seeing this issue show up recently.  Layers that have alway shown and approximation of the true curve are now showing as straight segments or frequently missing segments in their entirety. 

We have temporarily found a workaround by updating the the feature layer from a zipped geodatabase.  After updating the straight or missing segments are back to curve approximations, but it requires us to essentially publish every layer twice, so I would not call that a solution.  

0 Kudos
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

Just to post an update on this issue, I was in touch with Esri Support and while initially they said it was as expected, because true circular arcs do not, they are supposed to approximate the appearance by converting it to rings, it is a bug causing it to not do this now. The reply I got:

BUG-000160117 : Circular arcs in a feature layer with no z-values display as straight lines in ArcGIS Online.

It was introduced with the June 2023 update and the fix is planned for the October 2023 update (end of the month). Although ArcGIS Online does not technically support true curves, the expected behaviour is still that upon publishing, the true curves should be converted to rings with many vertices to appear as curves. The workaround for the bug is to export the data to a feature class with z-values enabled and then publish it to ArcGIS Online.

So hopefully this will be fixed shortly.

UPDATE OCT 31, 2023: As of the update on October 25th, it appears to be fixed. 

BrantSollis2
New Contributor III

Thanks for this update, Robert!  

It looks like the ArcGIS Online update that pushed yesterday resolved this issue for us.   I hope it solved the issues for you all as well!