Crowdsourcing issue solved: Limit access to public ArcGIS Online layers

05-05-2016 09:41 PM
PaulDoherty3
Occasional Contributor

Today I configured a GeoForm web mapping application that could be edited by anonymous / public users, but with a hosted feature service that cannot be accessed anonymously. This requires a few separate steps, but is described in the documentation titled: Limit access to public ArcGIS Online layers.

Here is a brief description from the post...

"Public-facing data collection applications require services that are accessible by the public, but there is often a need to protect that information once it has been submitted. Layer contents can be accessed two ways in ArcGIS Online: through the REST endpoint (service URL), and through applications such as the ArcGIS Online map viewer and the web app templates.

Access to this submitted data can be controlled by setting up sharing permissions to restrict access to the REST endpoint, and by specifying the applications that can display the layers. These apps can then be configured to display only the data you'd like exposed to the audience of your application."

I know many people have probably run into this issue and sought other workarounds, but give this workflow a try if you are creating crowdsourcing maps but do not want your data to be found.

7 Replies
DanielleKulas
Occasional Contributor III

We've been testing this method and it has worked, but we are finding that the public data is still viewable in our AGOL organization's Gallery Content. In the Organization settings, our Gallery is set to show only content within a specific "Gallery content" group, and the public layer and webmap, and web app in question are not shared with this group but still show up in the Gallery as featured content. I'm presuming its because they are all set as public, but it is frustrating that data outside of the specified group appears at all in the Gallery. Furthermore, the data we 'hid' via the instructions provided can still technically be found (even if they can't be accessed-we'd like like the application only to be available to folks with the link and not folks browsing the gallery), unless I'm missing something specific to the Gallery. Any insights? 

0 Kudos
GISOfficer
Occasional Contributor

I need help with this.  I want people to provide comments and vote through a Crowdsource Polling app but then protect their personal details and I can't see how.

0 Kudos
JenniferStone
New Contributor III

This might help some but it is a little bit of a cheat. I created a Special Needs Registry geoform where the public can submit a special needs registration using form and map. That form includes fields with what some users might consider "private" information (i.e.: name, address, medical conditions, etc...).

The problem I was running into was that the geoform requires the pop-up in order to know what fields to provide but I didn't want existing submissions to be seen by those using the app nor did I want them to be able to click on a point and see the details of any prior submissions. What I ended up doing was going into the web map and creating a filter of 'ObjectID is blank' on the SpecialNeedsRegistrant layer (for you it would be whatever layer you are basing your form off of). This filters out any features that have an ObjectID (AKA - all of them) but still allows the pop-up to provide the form fields.

I then created the same filter on the feature service itself (via item details) so that even if someone did find the feature service (it is shared with everyone because it is a crowdsourced public app) they wouldn't see the data points. A little bit of a cheat but it appears to have done the trick. If I'm not thinking of, or missing, something please let me know!

0 Kudos
ScottLinton
New Contributor

This was the solution, embedding credentials to make the layer secure and sharing it only to the app/map you want it to be edited from:

https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000017029

I tested using my own public account and could access none of the feature layer and data, or the web map.  All that was allowed was submission of information through the consultation app we were running, but in the app users could not see feedback they or others provided.  The consultation ran successfully.

Please note feature layer views were problematic for this, it is easier to use the original hosted feature layer.

0 Kudos
JenniferStone
New Contributor III

The link does not work. Has it been moved?

Jennifer D. Stone

Jennifer D. Stone

GIS Coordinator

Sullivan County Real Property Services

GIS & 911 Addressing

Sullivan County Real Property Tax Services

GIS and 911 Addressing Center

Sullivan County Government Center

100 North Street

Monticello, NY 12701

Phone: (845) 807-0224

Fax: (845) 807-0232

Email: jennifer.stone@co.sullivan.ny.us<mailto:jennifer.stone@co.sullivan.ny.us>

Disclaimer: The Office of Real Property assumes no responsibility for any errors or omissions in the information provided. Furthermore, the Office of Real Property makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information provided. The Office of Real Property specifically provides this information as is and expressly disclaims responsibility for damages or liability, whatsoever, that may arise from use of the information provided.

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including attachments is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message and attachments. Thank you.

0 Kudos
GISOfficer
Occasional Contributor

The link I posted a few days ago works for me, Paul's original link no longer works however.

N.B. The 'GIS Officer' account this appears under and Scott Linton's account are both from the same organisation.  My name is Chris and I posted both comments.

0 Kudos
PamelaLocke1
Occasional Contributor

I am following the steps in the link you posted, but am getting an Error "Error generating Token"  when i try to add my layer....any ideas why? 

Thanks!

Pamela 

0 Kudos