Create new Feature Button not appearing in Smart Editor Widget for related features

Jump to solution
10-22-2021 03:20 PM
DavidRichey
Occasional Contributor

This might better belong i the Web App builder section, but I found a similar problem and solution here. @AlixVezina, I am hoping you could take a look at this.

I've configured a map that has a relational feature service in it. I built a Web App builder application on the map. I have configured the settings to allow for editing. The Create new feature icon is missing from the related features entries at the bottom of the Smart Editor Widget control panel:

Untitled picture.png

I note that in the Configure Smart Editor dialogue, in the Custom settings for the parent layer, that Update only is enforced for the child layers. I have looked through Untitled picture3.pngthe layer and the map settings, and do not understand what is enforcing this. In the layer settings, for instance, geometry updates are enabled for all layers in the service.

Any thought on how to release the lock on Updates Only?

Untitled picture2.png

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @DavidRichey ,

Only related Table layers are supported for adding new features. If your layers have geometries, then you will not be able to add new features through the related table/layer list. This is a limitation for this widget and it's explained into more details here: Smart Editor widget—ArcGIS Web AppBuilder | Documentation

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Presently, there is no easy way to do this on the web. Editing related records and features should be on the roadmap for future editing tools built in the JavaScript API 4.x , so you should see this eventually in the new Map Viewer and in Experience Builder.

Perhaps, another way you could get around this limitation, would be to have a "project area" polygon layer. The polygon layer would have a field for the key ID you are using to relate your features.

You could then use an Intersection Attribute Action in the Smart Editor to get the ID from the polygon for all the features that you place within the area. In this way, the ID will be automatically populated into your related features, which will prevent user error and be less tedious.

If your "project areas" overlap, you could use the Value Picker to pick the key ID (in other words, the relationship) you would want the feature to participate in.

If this doesn't make sense, I can put together a quick example.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DavidRichey
Occasional Contributor

I am able to do this at the deepest descendant level (object with no children). The Update only is not disabled , and the Create new record button appears. Note that I would like the Camera points feature service to be enabled for adding new features as well as the monitoring record.

Untitled picture.png

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @DavidRichey ,

Only related Table layers are supported for adding new features. If your layers have geometries, then you will not be able to add new features through the related table/layer list. This is a limitation for this widget and it's explained into more details here: Smart Editor widget—ArcGIS Web AppBuilder | Documentation

I hope this helps!

0 Kudos
DavidRichey
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the rapid response!

It certainly helps to know, and while I read that, I did not get it. The next question is, how to add related features. my users have hacked at it by adding new features, and I can teach them to edit the parent global id, but that seems cumbersome and prone to error. Thoughts @AlixVezina ?

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Presently, there is no easy way to do this on the web. Editing related records and features should be on the roadmap for future editing tools built in the JavaScript API 4.x , so you should see this eventually in the new Map Viewer and in Experience Builder.

Perhaps, another way you could get around this limitation, would be to have a "project area" polygon layer. The polygon layer would have a field for the key ID you are using to relate your features.

You could then use an Intersection Attribute Action in the Smart Editor to get the ID from the polygon for all the features that you place within the area. In this way, the ID will be automatically populated into your related features, which will prevent user error and be less tedious.

If your "project areas" overlap, you could use the Value Picker to pick the key ID (in other words, the relationship) you would want the feature to participate in.

If this doesn't make sense, I can put together a quick example.

0 Kudos
DavidRichey
Occasional Contributor

That makes sense. I've not implemented that before, but will give it a try. Thanks again for the on-the-spot help.

DavidRichey
Occasional Contributor

That worked very well. Thank you.

DavidRichey
Occasional Contributor

@AlixVezina  Really do appreciate your help. Not to be a poke, but I think this part of the documentation led me astray: "To add related records in a related table or layer, click the Create new feature button and enter information in the available fields." In the Create Features Section of the help. It should likely say create new record in related table. Just a thought, and thanks much again for the help.

AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Thank you David, that's a good point. I'll make sure the change is made.

0 Kudos