Correcting Mistakes on Online Basemaps

12-15-2011 11:49 PM
AnttiVeijalainen
New Contributor II
Hi,

Is there any process or procedure how obvious mistakes on ArcGIS Online basemaps could be corrected? Through time I've noticed a whole bunch of errors merely on Finland's area on several maps, mostly concerning incorrect names.

For example, someone at Esri Inc. to whom one could report mistakes and wanted corrections?
Tags (2)
27 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

thanks tricard29

KarolFrancisAZ
New Contributor III

In the National Geographic USA Topo Map  http://goto.arcgisonline.com/maps/USA_Topo_Maps , the county in the vicinity of Alamo Lake, Arizona (roughly 34.2709° N, 113.5699° W) is incorrectly identified as Yuma County, when it is in La Paz County. 

0 Kudos
RyanAlger
New Contributor

I've noticed two errors in the Nat Geo basemap in Montana. At 1:144,000 scale the Gallatin range is mislabeled as the Big Belts south of Hwy 12 between Bozeman and Livingston. Near 45.56849,-110.85063.

The DEER Lodge Mountains to the east of Deer Loge MT are consistently misspelled as the DEAR Lodge Mountains at every scale they appear. 

0 Kudos
PaulFinn
New Contributor

In Gunnison, Colorado, the university is incorrectly labeled. It should read "Western Colorado University," but it is labeled as  either "Western State Colorado University" or "Western State College" depending on zoom. We are currently working on a project for this community, so addressing this issues swiftly would be much appreciated. 

I've added this comment to all 3 of the listed topics for map comments, but wanted to add it here as well, as i've found the issue on all Esri basemaps.

0 Kudos
MarkTullius
New Contributor II

I used to live in Gunnison in the 80’s. At that time it was known as Western State College. Did it change it’s name?

0 Kudos
PaulFinn
New Contributor

Yes. It was Western State College of Colorado from 1923 to 2012, then Western State Colorado University from 2012 to 2018, and recently changed to Western Colorado University.

0 Kudos
SybilCoffey
New Contributor II

I noticed a labeling error on the Nat Geo Basemap. In the Los Angeles Area, the University of California Los Angeles otherwise known as U.C.L.A, is labeled as neither of these.  It is labeled as "University Of California-La", written in this specific case.

If the name of the city needs to abbreviated, Los Angeles is never abbreviate as "La". It can be abbreviated as "LA" in certain circumstances.

In addition, just south of the campus is the label, "Ronald Reagan Ucla Medical Ctr" Here the abbreviation "Ucla" should all be in capitols. 

The two labels should be corrected and be consistent

0 Kudos
WhitneyRapp
New Contributor II

Like many, my issue is with the Nat Geo World Map - in particular unusual parcels in Alaska public lands.  I can't find a feedback option for that one, and the issues are not on 

Street map feedback map

Topographic feedback map

Imagery feedback map

I did find this - NatGeo Mapmaker Interactive - where there is a "Give Feedback" button.

Thanks!

0 Kudos