Select to view content in your preferred language

Coordinate Systems of Hosted Feature Layers

Jump to solution
06-27-2023 11:13 AM
Labels (1)
SLouq
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I have a HFL which I created to work with a GNSS receiver and has a spatial reference in NAD 1983 2011 to match the coordinate system of the base station we use. That feature class works fine when collecting points with the GNSS receiver. Since then I have found other ways to use the GNSS receiver to collect Utility points for gas valves and water valves. So I created a new HFL based off my existing HFL using the Export Data and Publish tools in ArcGIS Online. When I did this, I noticed the Spatial Reference of the new HFL has changed from NAD 1983 2011 to WGS 1984 Web Mercator (auxiliary sphere) which is fine but now the points on my map are hidden and I can't see them. I know they are there bc the attributes are there in my attribute table and when I select one, it is selected in the map.

Why is this? And How can I fix it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Uploading layers directly to ArcGIS Online will publish them as Web Mercator.

Publishing layers from ArcGIS Pro will use the map spatial reference. Typically this will be the first layer you add to the map - meaning it'll be the NAD 1983 2011.

It's likely that you had a projection issue resulting from publishing your data directly to ArcGIS Online via the web interface.

If you need to maintain a coordinate system or specific transformations, publish using ArcGIS Pro.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TonyContreras_Frisco_TX
Frequent Contributor

Esri Documentation states that the features published to AGO use Web Mercator for the coordinate system. , What was the method you used to upload/publish the original HFL? Was it through the AGO website, or ArcGIS Pro connected to AGO? Whatever it was, I recommend using the same method. If you are exporting from AGO first, check the output CS and if it is Web Mercator, reproject it before attempting to upload/publish it.

0 Kudos
SLouq
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  

I got it to work for now at least. I had to open the working HFL in ArcGIS Pro. Export it to a feature class using NAD 1983 2011 as the coordinate system, then I shared that feature class with our ArcGIS Online account as a web layer. Don't know why but all the features copied and are visible now in that HFL

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Uploading layers directly to ArcGIS Online will publish them as Web Mercator.

Publishing layers from ArcGIS Pro will use the map spatial reference. Typically this will be the first layer you add to the map - meaning it'll be the NAD 1983 2011.

It's likely that you had a projection issue resulting from publishing your data directly to ArcGIS Online via the web interface.

If you need to maintain a coordinate system or specific transformations, publish using ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos